Quantcast

boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

12345

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Dennis Fenton
The 486 that I plan to use FreeDOS on currently‎ has MS-DOS 6.22 as its only OS. My plan is to completely replace it but keep all my installed programs. The SCSI drivers are all in C:\SCSI and I notice FreeDOS has its own equivalent of MSCDEX.EXE.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Dennis Fenton <[hidden email]>

The 486 that I plan to use FreeDOS on currentlyrCA has MS-DOS 6.22 as its only
OS. My plan is to completely replace it but keep all my installed programs. The
SCSI drivers are all in C:\SCSI and I notice FreeDOS has its own equivalent of
MSCDEX.EXE.

Sent-afrom-amy-aBlackBerry-a10-asmartphone-aon-athe-aBell-anetwork.
-a Original Message -a
Reply To: Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS.

Hi Dennis,

> I downloaded and installed WinImage 9.0 on my win98 computer. It has a
> floppy drive. I successfully wrote the img file to a floppy.
> Another issue occurred to me. My cd-rom drive is a SCSI external type.

That might be a problem, depending on your SCSI controller
and whether it has good BIOS support etc etc. I assume you
refer to the CD-ROM of the PC where you want to install DOS?

By the way, does that PC also have another operating system?
Do you want to replace that by DOS? Or install both side by
side as "dual boot"? The latter requires special steps, the
former can mean that current disk contents get overwritten.

> The new boot floppy has an fdconfig.sys and an autoexecrCA.bat file. I'm
thinking
> I need to add lines to both to recognize the SCSI drive when it boots.

If you have good DOS drivers for the drive and know how to
configure them, then you can do that. If you plan to install
DOS on a computer where you already have or can install some
operating system with easy internet, then I would recommend
another method: Copy the ISO file of FreeDOS to a FAT drive
on the PC where you want to install DOS and then "mount" it
as if it would be the CD of FreeDOS :-) If the boot floppy
has no automatic support for that, then I am sure that some
extra explanation of this trick could be given by Rugxulo or
Jerome, with examples of what to put where in fdconfig and
autoexec on the boot floppy :-)

The idea is that you need no hardware specific drivers at all
to open the ISO if you already have it on the future DOS PC,
so you avoid all worries about SCSI and CDROM drivers then.

You still do need that special ISO driver, of course, but as
that is not specific to certain hardware, it is easy to use.

Cheers, Eric

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

From: Eric Auer <[hidden email]>

Hi Felix and Dennis,

> I just looked inside http://www.freedos.org/download/download/FD12FLOPPY.zip
> "boot floppy", and a 3.5" 1.44M floppy. My floppy has 1457664 total bytes,
2847
> 512 byte sectors. The image downloaded is 1474560 bytes, so the downloaded
image
> would not fit here either.

That is a misunderstanding. The FLOPPY really is 80 tracks, 2 sides,
18 sectors per track, 512 bytes per sector: 1474560 bytes is correct.

However, if you want to put a FILE on a floppy, then the maximum
size for the FILE is less, because some space is used by the FAT
filesystem. So 1457664 is the size left for you to put files on.

This is why the boot floppy disk image has to be copied with some
special tools (Linux: dd, DOS: diskcopy, Windows: ..., Mac: ...)
which copy contents, filesystem, boot sector etc. all at once.

This also is why you do not see files IN that single image file
in FD12FLOPPY.zip: You would have to "open" the file as a FAT
filesystem to see the files that you will later see on your disk
after putting the diskimage as a whole on the floppy.

If we would offer the files separately in the ZIP, you would be
able to see and edit them at once, which is good, BUT you would
need a separate tool to install a boot sector to make it bootable,
which is inconvenient, because SYS is only available for DOS and
similar tools for other OS (like makebootfat or sys-freedos.pl
for Linux) would need specific command line options to produce
optimized DOS boot sectors.

Regards, Eric

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Hi Dennis,

> The 486 that I plan to use FreeDOS on currently‎ has MS-DOS 6.22 as
> its only OS. My plan is to completely replace it but keep all my
> installed programs. The SCSI drivers are all in C:\SCSI and I notice
> FreeDOS has its own equivalent of MSCDEX.EXE.

Well in that case, you can simply use the existing DOS SCSI
and CDROM drivers :-) You can even keep MSCDEX until you get
used to SHSUCDX later... And you can use your existing lines
from autoexec and config for the autoexec and (fd-) config
of FreeDOS. Only if you were using the MS DOS config sys
MENU system, you will have to change some things - syntax
for menus works in a different way in FreeDOS.

Maybe Jerome and Rugxulo can give some hints about how to
tell the installer to only install FreeDOS to the existing
C: drive of your MS DOS PC without damaging other programs.

Even then, it is always very good to have a backup of all
files before updating. So if anything goes wrong, you can
use the backups to repair the damage :-)

Regards, Eric

From: Dennis Fenton <[hidden email]>

Check!

Sent-afrom-amy-aBlackBerry-a10-asmartphone-aon-athe-aBell-anetwork.
-a Original Message -a
Reply To: Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS.

Hi Dennis,

> The 486 that I plan to use FreeDOS on currentlyrCA has MS-DOS 6.22 as
> its only OS. My plan is to completely replace it but keep all my
> installed programs. The SCSI drivers are all in C:\SCSI and I notice
> FreeDOS has its own equivalent of MSCDEX.EXE.

Well in that case, you can simply use the existing DOS SCSI
and CDROM drivers :-) You can even keep MSCDEX until you get
used to SHSUCDX later... And you can use your existing lines
from autoexec and config for the autoexec and (fd-) config
of FreeDOS. Only if you were using the MS DOS config sys
MENU system, you will have to change some things - syntax
for menus works in a different way in FreeDOS.

Maybe Jerome and Rugxulo can give some hints about how to
tell the installer to only install FreeDOS to the existing
C: drive of your MS DOS PC without damaging other programs.

Even then, it is always very good to have a backup of all
files before updating. So if anything goes wrong, you can
use the backups to repair the damage :-)

Regards, Eric

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Reply To: Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS.

Hi Dennis,

> The 486 that I plan to use FreeDOS on currently‎ has MS-DOS 6.22 as
> its only OS. My plan is to completely replace it but keep all my
> installed programs. The SCSI drivers are all in C:\SCSI and I notice
> FreeDOS has its own equivalent of MSCDEX.EXE.

Well in that case, you can simply use the existing DOS SCSI
and CDROM drivers :-) You can even keep MSCDEX until you get
used to SHSUCDX later... And you can use your existing lines
from autoexec and config for the autoexec and (fd-) config
of FreeDOS. Only if you were using the MS DOS config sys
MENU system, you will have to change some things - syntax
for menus works in a different way in FreeDOS.

Maybe Jerome and Rugxulo can give some hints about how to
tell the installer to only install FreeDOS to the existing
C: drive of your MS DOS PC without damaging other programs.

Even then, it is always very good to have a backup of all
files before updating. So if anything goes wrong, you can
use the backups to repair the damage :-)

Regards, Eric

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

> On Mar 24, 2017, at 6:15 PM, Dennis Fenton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The 486 that I plan to use FreeDOS on currently‎ has MS-DOS 6.22 as its only OS. My plan is to completely replace it but keep all my installed programs. The SCSI drivers are all in C:\SCSI and I notice FreeDOS has its own equivalent of MSCDEX.EXE.

Ok, this is my advice.

First backup:
Create a MS-DOS boot floppy as a backup. That way if things go sideways you have a working boot disk with your needed drivers.

Next Test:
Without messing around with the FreeDOS install floppy, just boot it. It should work fine up to the "Gathering information" message. Then it would give you an error stating it cannot find the packages. You can then quit to The command prompt and look around. If you see drive C:, then let's try the "not booted upgrade" (NBU) install method or two drive (DOSBox) method.

Install:
The two drive method has you copy the contents of the CD to a separate drive. Then boot/run the FreeDOS setup program.

The NBU method may be easiest for you. Basically, you just boot the system like normal. Then insert the floppy and CD. Go to drive A: and run "Setup". Make sure you let it backup your current OS! You may want to clean as much as possible out of your existing config.sys and autoexec.bat before using the upgrade method. That way there are fewer chances of a conflict occurring.

Note:
The NBU method is not an "official" way of installing an OS. It may fail horribly. That being said, I did what I could to get it to function properly. And, it worked fine in the limited testing I did with NBU installs.

Jerome

> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.

I'd advise just plugging in his needed lines into the new configuration files. But, what ever is easiest.

> Maybe Jerome and Rugxulo can give some hints about how to
> tell the installer to only install FreeDOS to the existing
> C: drive of your MS DOS PC without damaging other programs

If his old MS-DOS install is not under the FDOS\ directory (unless changed in advanced mode), it will just ignore it. That goes for other directories as well. If the existing target directory (Like FDOS\) for the OS already exists, it will be backed up and the cleaned out.

> Even then, it is always very good to have a backup of all
> files before updating. So if anything goes wrong, you can
> use the backups to repair the damage :-)

Yes, always backup!

Jerome

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Dennis Fenton
My internal hard drive is partitioned into C and D drives. The entire contents of the C:\DOS directory is backed up on drive D. I also have an MS-DOS boot disk that includes my current autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

From: Rugxulo <[hidden email]>

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Dennis Fenton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The 486 that I plan to use FreeDOS on currentlyrCA has MS-DOS 6.22 as its
only OS.
> My plan is to completely replace it but keep all my installed programs. The
SCSI
> drivers are all in C:\SCSI and I notice FreeDOS has its own equivalent of
MSCDEX.EXE.

If you have anything more important than games (and/or don't have the
original installation media for them and/or the disks for the version
of MS-DOS you're using), then maybe you shouldn't quite install
FreeDOS "just yet"! Especially any personal files (personal docs,
sources, game saves, registration keys), make sure to back those up
several times!

It might be safer to use a separate hard drive entirely for FreeDOS so
that you don't risk deleting anything important. You never did mention
if you have a working packet driver (I'll assume not), but it might
make backing up files a lot easier.

If you just want to play around with FreeDOS, just use a bootable
floppy (as suggested), which will minimally let you use the FD kernel
with all of your pre-existing utils. Honestly, if you already have
MS-DOS, then you probably aren't the target audience for FreeDOS at
all. (Not to be pessimistic, but FreeDOS doesn't normally offer much
more, by itself, over MS-DOS. Although it does support FAT32, unlike
MS-DOS v6 [FAT12/16 only], which can be more efficient for large
drives.)

You don't technically "need" two different kernels (but maybe you want
to compare). In that case, MetaKern may be of interest to you:

http://freedos.gds.tuwien.ac.at/freedos/news/technote/184.html
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/boot/metakern/

From: Dennis Fenton <[hidden email]>

I want the fat32 in order to see drives and files on my win98 computer if I use
Laplink. I was also hoping FreeDOS will do a better job of getting Arachne
online. It reports low memory with MS-DOS. I have run memmaker several times.

> [...]

make backing up files a lot easier.

If you just want to play around with FreeDOS, just use a bootable
floppy (as suggested), which will minimally let you use the FD kernel
with all of your pre-existing utils. Honestly, if you already have
MS-DOS, then you probably aren't the target audience for FreeDOS at
all. (Not to be pessimistic, but FreeDOS doesn't normally offer much
more, by itself, over MS-DOS. Although it does support FAT32, unlike
MS-DOS v6 [FAT12/16 only], which can be more efficient for large
drives.)

You don't technically "need" two different kernels (but maybe you want
to compare). In that case, MetaKern may be of interest to you:

http://freedos.gds.tuwien.ac.at/freedos/news/technote/184.html
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/boot/metakern/

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Ralf Quint
On 3/24/2017 4:36 PM, Dennis Fenton wrote:
> I want the fat32 in order to see drives and files on my win98 computer if I use Laplink. I was also hoping FreeDOS will do a better job of getting Arachne online. It reports low memory with MS-DOS. I have run memmaker several times.
Using FAT32 does not help you in seeing drives and files on another
computer, either via laplink or by other means. This is either handled
by the program itself (as in the case of Laplink) or it is matter of the
network redirector being used...

As for being low on memory, the main source of your problems are likely
being the use of the SCSI/ASPI drivers as you mentioned in a previous
post. Those things are/were huge in terms of DOS in general. FreeDOS
won't give you here much of an advantage over any other DOS...

Ralf

---

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Dennis Fenton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I want the fat32 in order to see drives and files on my win98 computer if I use Laplink.

Okay, but that's only the kernel (and boot sector to load it), not all
of the other files. Any single floppy could handle that minimal
"install" for you.

> I was also hoping FreeDOS will do a better job of getting Arachne online. It reports
> low memory with MS-DOS. I have run memmaker several times.

Unlikely to help much by itself, but who knows.

Not to discourage use of Arachne by any means, but there are other web
browsers as well, e.g. Links2 (which is 386+ DPMI, thus less stingy
about memory):

http://links.twibright.com/download/binaries/dos/

(grab links-2.14.exe and links.crt)

But, again, that assumes a working packet driver and supported network
card. So you do actually have one??

From: Dennis Fenton <[hidden email]>

Also, I'm curious. The 486 is not my main computer. It is a hobby project.
While I would be disappointed is anything was lost in the transition, it
wouldn't be the end of the world.
I'm taking a break now. Please don't be offended if you post something and I
don't respond immediately. I will let you all know how this works out.
Dennis

> [...]

make backing up files a lot easier.

If you just want to play around with FreeDOS, just use a bootable
floppy (as suggested), which will minimally let you use the FD kernel
with all of your pre-existing utils. Honestly, if you already have
MS-DOS, then you probably aren't the target audience for FreeDOS at
all. (Not to be pessimistic, but FreeDOS doesn't normally offer much
more, by itself, over MS-DOS. Although it does support FAT32, unlike
MS-DOS v6 [FAT12/16 only], which can be more efficient for large
drives.)

You don't technically "need" two different kernels (but maybe you want
to compare). In that case, MetaKern may be of interest to you:

http://freedos.gds.tuwien.ac.at/freedos/news/technote/184.html
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/boot/metakern/

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

When I try to use Arachne I turn off the SCSI drives and reboot so the SCSI drivers don't load.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.
Reply To: Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS.

On 3/24/2017 4:36 PM, Dennis Fenton wrote:
> I want the fat32 in order to see drives and files on my win98 computer if I use Laplink. I was also hoping FreeDOS will do a better job of getting Arachne online. It reports low memory with MS-DOS. I have run memmaker several times.
Using FAT32 does not help you in seeing drives and files on another
computer, either via laplink or by other means. This is either handled
by the program itself (as in the case of Laplink) or it is matter of the
network redirector being used...

As for being low on memory, the main source of your problems are likely
being the use of the SCSI/ASPI drivers as you mentioned in a previous
post. Those things are/were huge in terms of DOS in general. FreeDOS
won't give you here much of an advantage over any other DOS...

Ralf

---

Re: boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Dennis Fenton
Don't need a network card with a dial-up modem. As for packet driver, Arachne comes with some. I am definately willing to try other browsers.