bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files

Re: Quattro Pro releases

Felix Miata-3
Thomas Mueller composed on 2017-04-25 06:56 (UTC):

> Felix Miata composed on 2017-04-24 23:07 (UTC-0400):...
>> OS/2 needed the upgrade to MCP that eCS incorporated, and Dani's 506, DASD
>> and ATAPI drivers to run on hardware that wasn't perfectly sync'd up to
>> that in the PC hardware IBM was selling, or even when it did....
> I went to www.arcanoae.com, but some information was missing, such as GPT
> support and 64-bit support.
It runs on 64-bit CPUs as if on 32. AFAIK, there are no plans for foreseeable
future for a 64-bit kernel.

I have no idea about GPT support. Does any 32-bit OS support GPT?

There are eCS mailing lists for those interested in clues to more of what's
going on.

> I had difficulties with the OS/2 installers.  In the case of Warp 4, an
> Iomega Zip drive showed with two different, consecutive letters, making it
> difficult to find the proper drive letters.

That kind of stuff is what using the Dani drivers usually alleviated.

> DOS and OS/2 FDISK led me to believe, erroneously, that a hard drive could
> have only one primary partition, in addition to logical partitions.

> Linux fdisk taught me better.

I use none of the native partitioners since somewhere around 1999. DFSee, while
not free, avoids potential incompatibilities, since it writes identical tables
and legacy compatible MBR code whether used booted to DOS, OS/2, Windows, Linux
or Mac.
http://www.dfsee.com/

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Quattro Pro releases

Felix Miata-3
Thomas Mueller composed on 2017-04-25 06:56 (UTC):

> I used 3D (.WQ2) with Quattro Pro.  What if you have data for each month of the year?  Third dimension is 12 deep.

https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/freedos-user/thread/2173a1b7-7f02-da55-6568-108380912f09%40earthlink.net/#msg35805095

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

OS/2 Re: Quattro Pro releases

Gregg Eshelman
Have you ever installed OS/2 Warp 3 Upgrade from floppies? I did, on a Packard Bell 486 SX system with a 63 Mhz Pentium Overdrive. For some reason once it got to the GUI stage and I was feeding it disk after disk, I'd have to keep the mouse in constant motion while it was reading a disk or it'd freeze.

What was the upgrade from? OS/2 2.something, also on floppies. I picked up both really cheap somewhere, and after going through the process of installing 2.x then the Warp 3 upgrade I found out why it was cheap. ;)

I also found out that tinkering with its massive config.sys file in any way was an easy way to cause big problems.

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017, 12:59:04 AM MDT, Thomas Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thomas Mueller composed on 2017-04-25 02:07 (UTC):

> > I ran Quattro Pro through 5 in OS/2 Warp 3 and 4 until that final OS/2 crash
> > in the single-digit days of April 2001.

> > OS/2 froze, did not dismount cleanly.  On reboot, CHKDSK, run automatically,
> > ran amok and trashed my hard-disk data.

Re: Quattro Pro releases

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Felix Miata <[hidden email]>

Thomas Mueller composed on 2017-04-25 06:56 (UTC):

> Felix Miata composed on 2017-04-24 23:07 (UTC-0400):...
>> OS/2 needed the upgrade to MCP that eCS incorporated, and Dani's 506, DASD
>> and ATAPI drivers to run on hardware that wasn't perfectly sync'd up to
>> that in the PC hardware IBM was selling, or even when it did....
> I went to www.arcanoae.com, but some information was missing, such as GPT
> support and 64-bit support.
It runs on 64-bit CPUs as if on 32. AFAIK, there are no plans for foreseeable
future for a 64-bit kernel.

I have no idea about GPT support. Does any 32-bit OS support GPT?

There are eCS mailing lists for those interested in clues to more of what's
going on.

> I had difficulties with the OS/2 installers.  In the case of Warp 4, an
> Iomega Zip drive showed with two different, consecutive letters, making it
> difficult to find the proper drive letters.

That kind of stuff is what using the Dani drivers usually alleviated.

> DOS and OS/2 FDISK led me to believe, erroneously, that a hard drive could
> have only one primary partition, in addition to logical partitions.

> Linux fdisk taught me better.

I use none of the native partitioners since somewhere around 1999. DFSee, while
not free, avoids potential incompatibilities, since it writes identical tables
and legacy compatible MBR code whether used booted to DOS, OS/2, Windows, Linux
or Mac.
http://www.dfsee.com/

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: less than infinite (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: Quattro Pro releases

Karen Lewellen-2
From: "Thomas Mueller" <[hidden email]>

> Thomas Mueller composed on 2017-04-25 02:07 (UTC):

> > I ran Quattro Pro through 5 in OS/2 Warp 3 and 4 until that final OS/2
crash
> > in the single-digit days of April 2001.

> > OS/2 froze, did not dismount cleanly.  On reboot, CHKDSK, run
automatically,
> > ran amok and trashed my hard-disk data.

> OS/2 needed the upgrade to MCP that eCS incorporated, and Dani's 506, DASD
and
> ATAPI drivers to run on hardware that wasn't perfectly sync'd up to that in
the
> PC hardware IBM was selling, or even when it did.

> > I was never again able to boot OS/2 again even from installation or other
> > floppies: trap 000c or 000e.

> > OS/2 must have panicked at the state of the hard drive(s), while Linux
> > starter floppy booted, and Linux fdisk was runnable.

> I never liked the OS/2, Warp or eCS installers, though the CD versions were
and
> are far less frustrating. I eventually found installation infrequently
> necessary. Once the SDD/Snap video drivers arrived, I found migrating a
working
> disk or a clone thereof from one PC to another to be much easier. I stuck to
> always having OS/2 on an F: partition both before and after LVM came on the
> scene, only installing to any other letter on a test basis.

> > I used DR-DOS 7.03 for some years.

> > I can still run Quattro Pro 5 for DOS in FreeDOS, or FreeBSD, NetBSD or
Linux
> > with DOSBox.

> > Now I see how eComStation has greatly fallen behind, and FreeBSD and NetBSD
> > now seem to have much better hardware support than eComStation.

> > I can even rsync a FreeBSD or NetBSD installation to USB stick and make it
> > bootable.  I don't think you can do that with eComStation.
> I keep several PCs competent to run the eCS version I use simply by
transferring
> a HD with eCS on F: into it. I was never able to figure out how to make any
of
> the non-OS/2 DOS emulators do SVGA text modes, required to produce the 132
> column text modes that make QPro so valuable to me.

> eCS works much better than DesqView and QEMM ever did with "large" file I/O,
> which is truly dismal in any DOS I ever seriously tried. And of course, eCS
is
> useful for other things. QPro is one of those apps where the better DOS than
DOS
> objective of OS/2 really shines.

> eCS has a replacement "Blue Lion" coming online soon. Final beta was supposed
> happen today or yesterday:

> https://www.arcanoae.com/

> "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
> words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

>  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

> Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

I went to www.arcanoae.com, but some information was missing, such as GPT
support and 64-bit support.

It looks like any one of NetBSD, FreeBSD and Linux would do better, and easier
to get around in.

I had difficulties with the OS/2 installers.  In the case of Warp 4, an Iomega
Zip drive showed with two different, consecutive letters, making it difficult
to find the proper drive letters.

I used 3D (.WQ2) with Quattro Pro.  What if you have data for each month of the
year?  Third dimension is 12 deep.

There is also open-source spreadsheet Teapot at
https://www.syntax-k.de/projekte/teapot/

Latest version is 2.3.0 (2012-02-06).

DOS and OS/2 FDISK led me to believe, erroneously, that a hard drive could have
only one primary partition, in addition to logical partitions.

Linux fdisk taught me better.

Tom

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: Quattro Pro releases

dmccunney
On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Felix Miata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> eCS works much better than DesqView and QEMM ever did with "large" file I/O,
> which is truly dismal in any DOS I ever seriously tried. And of course, eCS is
> useful for other things. QPro is one of those apps where the better DOS than DOS
> objective of OS/2 really shines.
>
> eCS has a replacement "Blue Lion" coming online soon. Final beta was supposed to
> happen today or yesterday:
>
> https://www.arcanoae.com/

*sigh*

> …able to run OS/2, Windows 3.1, and DOS applications

Only existing OS/2 users run OS/2 apps, I don't think *anyone* runs
Win 3.1 apps, and the few holdouts running DOS apps don't need OS/2 to
do it.

> …able to run ported Linux applications

And the key will be which Linux apps get ported, and how hard a job
that will be.

This may well be a decent followup to eComStation for the OS/2
community, but I don't see it gaining converts elsewhere.  It needs to
either support Linux apps "native", or run Win32 apps, or both.  Lack
of 64 bit support is also a major minus.

Tell me why anyone who *isn't* already an OS/2 user might get this?
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519

Re: Quattro Pro releases

Mikkel C. Simonsen
dmccunney wrote:
> Only existing OS/2 users run OS/2 apps, I don't think *anyone* runs
> Win 3.1 apps,

I do, so there's at least one... PageMaker, CorelDRAW! and Photoshop is
in regular use. And also more spezialised stuff like Keil µVision and
some filter design tools.

> Tell me why anyone who *isn't* already an OS/2 user might get this?

Probably none - and so what?

Best regards,

Mikkel

Re: Corel dos ebay thing

dmccunney

Yep.  https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20161007172455/http://www.wordstar.org/index.php/wordstar-history

> When he left the company is when thing started to go
> downhill for MicroPro. WordStar for DOS used slow DOS system functions for
> the keyboard and display and lagged way behind on supporting subdirectories.

I have a copy of WS7.  You have to use the install program to specify
where things live.  It apparently isn't capable of searching the PATH
or looking in sub-directories of the install directory to find its
components.  I shook my head in wonder.

Using BIOS functions for keyboard and video was a hangover from the
origin in CP/M.

> WordPerfect for DOS was written in 8088 assembly.

Lots of things were.  One of the word processors I used was XYWrite,
which I described as a programming language for manipulating test
wrapped in an editor disguise.  The lead developer coded in Assembler
on an original 4.77 mhz IBM PC well after 25mhz AT machines were
common.  He apparently felt that if he could get it to perform well on
an original PC, it would fly on anything later.

(XYWrite survives on Windows as Nota Bene, aimed at the scholarly
market.  Nota Bene was originally an OEM repackage of XYWrite.
XYWrite was a bit like Gnu Emacs - extraordinarily powerful, but you
had to customize it to really use it, and knowing how to do so imposed
a learning curve.  Nota Bene had a much friendlier and and more easily
learned default interface, which is a reason why it still exists.
XYWrite's own Windows version was a non-starter.)

A DOS product I still use here is Eric Meyer's VDE.  VDE also dates
from the CP/M days, and was written in Z-80 assembler as an
alternative to WordStar under CP/M, using the WordStar command set.
Unlike real WordStar, VDE did everything in one file without overlays.
Eric ported it to DOS and it was a popular shareware product for
years. These days, it's supported freeware.  Eric is still around, and
there's a sporadically active VDE mailing list.  See
https://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/ for info and downloads.

> Corel was a poor steward of WordPerfect. They dropped the Macintosh version
> at 3.5e. The last Windows version released by Corel was horrible. I tried
> doing an HTML document once. I had things all laid out and saved it. The
> document opened OK in a web browser. I reloaded it into WP, made some
> changes and saved it. Checked it again in a browser and it was all screwed
> up. Reloaded into WP and it was bad there too. If you could do 100% of
> everything in HTML in one go with that version of WP for Windows, it was
> fine, but it couldn't re-open and re-save HTML that it was used to create.

That's not really a surprise.  Corel didn't write most of what they
sell.  They acquired if from others, and are essentially supporting a
static market.

I wouldn't attempt to use *any* word processor to create HTML documents.

> Microsoft had Word for Mac before they came out with a Windows version, so
> were ahead of the competition when it came to a GUI word processor.

If they wanted to support the Mac, they had to.  Mac OS Classic didn't
*have* a command line.

But yes, being an early developer for a GUI environment gave MS a
considerable leg up.
______
Dennis

Re: Quattro Pro releases

dmccunney
On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 9:13 AM, Mikkel C. Simonsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> dmccunney wrote:

>> Only existing OS/2 users run OS/2 apps, I don't think *anyone* runs
>> Win 3.1 apps,
>
> I do, so there's at least one... PageMaker, CorelDRAW! and Photoshop is
> in regular use. And also more spezialised stuff like Keil µVision and
> some filter design tools.

Good heavens.  I sit corrected.  (I'd forgotten about the Win 3.X
version of PageMaker, but do vaguely recall CorelDRAW! and Photoshop
for the platform.)

>> Tell me why anyone who *isn't* already an OS/2 user might get this?
>
> Probably none - and so what?

As long as nobody *expects* it to penetrate beyond the existing OS/2
market, agreed.  The folks who *can* use it will probably be happy,
and I'm pleased to see them still supported.

> Best regards,
> Mikkel
______
Dennis

Re: Quattro Pro releases

Karen Lewellen-2
From: dmccunney <[hidden email]>

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Felix Miata <[hidden email]> wrote:

> eCS works much better than DesqView and QEMM ever did with "large" file I/O,
> which is truly dismal in any DOS I ever seriously tried. And of course, eCS
is
> useful for other things. QPro is one of those apps where the better DOS than
DOS
> objective of OS/2 really shines.
>
> eCS has a replacement "Blue Lion" coming online soon. Final beta was supposed
> happen today or yesterday:
>
> https://www.arcanoae.com/

*sigh*

From: dmccunney <[hidden email]>

> [...]

sell.  They acquired if from others, and are essentially supporting a
static market.

I wouldn't attempt to use *any* word processor to create HTML documents.

> Microsoft had Word for Mac before they came out with a Windows version, so
> were ahead of the competition when it came to a GUI word processor.

If they wanted to support the Mac, they had to.  Mac OS Classic didn't
*have* a command line.

But yes, being an early developer for a GUI environment gave MS a
considerable leg up.
______
Dennis

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Dale E Sterner
none

******************************************************>>>>
>From Dale Sterner - MS organic chemistry
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo00975a052
*******************************************************>>>>

Actress Maggie Q Shocks With Her Solution To Tummy Troubles
Activated You
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58ff610f715ae610f5969st01duc

Re: Corel dos ebay thing

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Dale E Sterner <[hidden email]>

none

******************************************************>>>>
>From Dale Sterner - MS organic chemistry
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo00975a052
*******************************************************>>>>

Actress Maggie Q Shocks With Her Solution To Tummy Troubles
Activated You
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58ff610f715ae610f5969st01duc

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: Quattro Pro releases

Felix Miata-3
dmccunney composed on 2017-04-25 08:53 (UTC-0400):

> Felix Miata composed on 2017-04-24 23:07 (UTC-0400):
>> I was never able to figure out how to make any of
>> the non-OS/2 DOS emulators do SVGA text modes, required to produce the 132
>> column text modes that make QPro so valuable to me.

> the few holdouts running DOS apps don't need OS/2 to do it.

How do you reconcile what I wrote, which you failed to quote in response to my
post, with what you wrote? How do you get *any* DOS emulator besides OS/2 to run
the proprietary native SVGA text modes required to run QPro at 132 columns, like
I do 24/7 with eCS?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Quattro Pro releases

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Felix Miata <[hidden email]>

From: "Mikkel C. Simonsen" <[hidden email]>

dmccunney wrote:
> Only existing OS/2 users run OS/2 apps, I don't think *anyone* runs
> Win 3.1 apps,

I do, so there's at least one... PageMaker, CorelDRAW! and Photoshop is
in regular use. And also more spezialised stuff like Keil -|Vision and
some filter design tools.

> Tell me why anyone who *isn't* already an OS/2 user might get this?

Probably none - and so what?

Best regards,

Mikkel

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: Quattro Pro releases

Thomas Mueller
> > Felix Miata composed on 2017-04-24 23:07 (UTC-0400):...
> >> OS/2 needed the upgrade to MCP that eCS incorporated, and Dani's 506, DASD
> >> and ATAPI drivers to run on hardware that wasn't perfectly sync'd up to
> >> that in the PC hardware IBM was selling, or even when it did....
> > I went to www.arcanoae.com, but some information was missing, such as GPT
> > support and 64-bit support.
> It runs on 64-bit CPUs as if on 32. AFAIK, there are no plans for foreseeable
> future for a 64-bit kernel.

> I have no idea about GPT support. Does any 32-bit OS support GPT?

> There are eCS mailing lists for those interested in clues to more of what's
> going on.

> > I had difficulties with the OS/2 installers.  In the case of Warp 4, an
> > Iomega Zip drive showed with two different, consecutive letters, making it
> > difficult to find the proper drive letters.

> That kind of stuff is what using the Dani drivers usually alleviated.

I don't think Dani drivers existed when I installed OS/2 Warp 4 upgrade from OS/2 Warp 3.

>From Wikipedia, eComStation does not support GPT.

But it is possible for a 32-bit OS.  Examples are Haiku, FreeBSD i386 and NetBSD i386.

How busy are those eCS lists on Yahoogroups?

from Gregg Eshelman:

> [-- Attachment #1 --]
> [-- Type: multipart/alternative, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 3.0K --]

> Have you ever installed OS/2 Warp 3 Upgrade from floppies? I did, on a Packard Bell 486 SX system with a 63 Mhz Pentium Overdrive. For some reason once it got to the GUI stage and I was feeding it disk after disk, I'd have to keep
> the mouse in constant motion while it was reading a disk or it'd freeze.
> What was the upgrade from? OS/2 2.something, also on floppies. I picked up both really cheap somewhere, and after going through the process of installing 2.x then the Warp 3 upgrade I found out why it was cheap. ;)
> I also found out that tinkering with its massive config.sys file in any way was an easy way to cause big problems.

I can no longer remember if OS/2 Warp 3 upgrade was all from floppies, or if is was on a CD but with three kicker/boot floppies to start from.  Upgrade was from OS/2 2.11 with fixpacks.

I could modify or add a few lines in the config.sys but not the whole thing.

Tom

Re: Quattro Pro releases

Karen Lewellen-2
From: "Thomas Mueller" <[hidden email]>

> > Felix Miata composed on 2017-04-24 23:07 (UTC-0400):...
> >> OS/2 needed the upgrade to MCP that eCS incorporated, and Dani's 506, DASD
> >> and ATAPI drivers to run on hardware that wasn't perfectly sync'd up to
> >> that in the PC hardware IBM was selling, or even when it did....
> > I went to www.arcanoae.com, but some information was missing, such as GPT
> > support and 64-bit support.
> It runs on 64-bit CPUs as if on 32. AFAIK, there are no plans for foreseeable
> future for a 64-bit kernel.

> I have no idea about GPT support. Does any 32-bit OS support GPT?

> There are eCS mailing lists for those interested in clues to more of what's
> going on.

> > I had difficulties with the OS/2 installers.  In the case of Warp 4, an
> > Iomega Zip drive showed with two different, consecutive letters, making it
> > difficult to find the proper drive letters.

> That kind of stuff is what using the Dani drivers usually alleviated.

I don't think Dani drivers existed when I installed OS/2 Warp 4 upgrade from
OS/2 Warp 3.

>From Wikipedia, eComStation does not support GPT.

But it is possible for a 32-bit OS.  Examples are Haiku, FreeBSD i386 and
NetBSD i386.

How busy are those eCS lists on Yahoogroups?

from Gregg Eshelman:

> [-- Attachment #1 --]
> [-- Type: multipart/alternative, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 3.0K --]

> Have you ever installed OS/2 Warp 3 Upgrade from floppies? I did, on a
Packard Bell 486 SX system with a 63 Mhz Pentium Overdrive. For some reason
once it got to the GUI stage and I was feeding it disk after disk, I'd have to
keep
> the mouse in constant motion while it was reading a disk or it'd freeze.
> What was the upgrade from? OS/2 2.something, also on floppies. I picked up
both really cheap somewhere, and after going through the process of installing
2.x then the Warp 3 upgrade I found out why it was cheap. ;)
> I also found out that tinkering with its massive config.sys file in any way
was an easy way to cause big problems.

I can no longer remember if OS/2 Warp 3 upgrade was all from floppies, or if is
was on a CD but with three kicker/boot floppies to start from.  Upgrade was
from OS/2 2.11 with fixpacks.

I could modify or add a few lines in the config.sys but not the whole thing.

Tom

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: eComStation on yahoogroups (was: Quattro Pro releases)

Felix Miata-3
Thomas Mueller composed on 2017-04-25 21:04 (UTC):

>> [hidden email]
>> [hidden email]

> How busy are those eCS lists on Yahoogroups?

The former: 20 messages April, 0 March, 29 February, 30 January
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/eCS-Technical/info
The latter: 1, 4, 50, 24.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/