Quantcast

bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files

1234567

Re: WIFI on DOS (was: bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files)

dmccunney
On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 3:58 PM, dmccunney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Dale E Sterner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed win 7 on a laptop to see what it could do but not to use it.
>>> I installed software that I bought to see what it  would do on win 7.
>>> A lot of of message boxes came up giving me 24 hours to reactive
>>> or it would shut down forever.
>>
>> Did those messages come from Win7 or the software you installed?
>
> Can't you use a RC (release candidate) for a few months? Or is that
> not supported any longer?

If what you *have* is a Release Candidate, maybe.  (I have no idea if
it is still supported.)

>>> I left the test software on being affraid that if I removed it, it would
>>> do it again. Win 7 is now on my junk software list.
>
> In fairness, Win7 doesn't have a lot of life left, so it's not a good
> long-term solution. (Vista very recently died, so no more updates or
> fixes.)

Win7 is no longer under active development. It *will* get Extended
Support (IE, security updates) till 2020, but MS would really like you
to move to Win10.

The bigger longer term problem is that each new release of Windows
adds new things to the Windows API, and as time passes, software will
expect that new stuff and fail to run on systems that don't have it.
I have an ancient notebook running Win2K Pro that can't run some stuff
I use elsewhere because it requires XP minimum.  There are already
things that require Win7 minimum and won't run on my XP Home netbook.

There are reasons I prefer to stay current on Windows...

>> You got DOS and DOS apps in the old days, got them to where you
>> wanted, and stopped.  If what you have does what you need, splendid.
>> If it doesn't, you are looking at stepping beyond DOS.  That will mean
>> either a flavor of Windows or a flavor of Linux.  Either way, there's
>> a learning curve you're stuck with, and you need to learn more about
>> and better understand what your options are.
>
> I can't help but wonder if a simple Chromebook (from Best Buy, etc.)
> would fit the bill for him (or me or others). But without QEMU or
> similar by default, it's probably less useful. Google probably thinks
> emulation would be overkill for the "light" tasks that Chromebooks
> support. You can "probably" install a full Ubuntu (instead of default
> ChromeOS), but I'm not sure of the potential tradeoffs there (battery
> life?).

That will depend on your needs.  Chromebooks explicitly assume you
have a fast internet connection and will store your data in the cloud.
If you have the first and are willing to do the latter, a Chromebook
can be a good fit.  If the answer is no to either of those questions,
think again.

And while there are options to install Ubuntu, you still face issues
of local storage capacity.  Battery like my not be your scarce
resource.

If I were to get a Chromebook, I wouldn't bother.  It's a platform to
connect to the Internet through broadband and do stuff via the Chrome
browser.  Stuff that can't be handled that way is Something Else's
Job.

(I can theoretically install Ubuntu on my Android tablet.  I have no
actual need to do so.  Android and the apps I have installed do what I
require.  Ubuntu won't add anything I need badly enough to justify the
effort of moving to it.)

> A lot of issues with old DOS software have to do with printing, as one
> guy on BTTR recently mentioned needing. Not sure what is perfectly
> ideal here (VDosPlus??). BTW, QEMU 2.9.0 was just released today (but
> I'm unaware of any relevant changes for us).

I have vDOSPlus here.  It's a possible solution for most print needs,
since you can configure what happens when you try to print from a DOS
app.  I never actually do, but I would redirect to a "printer" under
Windows that creates a PDF of what is sent to it, and print that using
standard Windows methods.

If you can *run* your DOS app in a virtual machine (which is
essentially what vDOS and predecessor DOSBox are), you can generally
find a way to actually print from the host OS. I very seldom need to
actually print *anything*, and largely don't care.

(I have several DOS apps and games running on my Android tablet
courtesy of an Android port of DOSBox.  One candidate for running that
way was Eric Meyer's DOS WordStar clone, VDE.  The problem was that
extant Android ports of DOSBox weren't passing control-key combos
through to the host OS, so WordStar <ctrl-key><key> assignments simply
weren't recognized.  I found a port that does let them through and VDE
runs fine.)

> Another long shot would be DOS emulation in the browser via
> Javascript. Normally I would shun that for being too buggy or slow,
> but there are TONS of Javascript emulators. It's shocking actually,
> and some are amazingly good (and network-aware), e.g. OpenRISC. Of
> course, DOS is not high priority, and copy.sh's V86 is still too
> buggy, but we can dream, can't we?   ;-)

Hardware is increasingly smaller, faster, and cheaper.  I've seen some
of the DOS emulators in JavaScript, and if you *have* decent hardware,
they perform surprisingly well.  As time goes on, you are more likely
to *have* decent hardware.

(I have also seen compilers that compile C to JaAvaScript.)

>> Proceeding without knowledge is a good way to shoot yourself in *both* feet.
>
> Shooting your foot off? Yes, C++17 was finalized recently.   :-))

Switch to Rust... :-)
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519

Re: WIFI on DOS (was: bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files)

Dale E Sterner
The win 7 was a 32 bit copy purchased on Amazon.
The software was a dvd converter to convert dvds to mp4.
It didn't work on XP so I wanted to try it on win 7; didn't work
there either. The 1st activation was slow painful and
successful. Win 7 gave warning about making changes.
I followed all instructions to the letter.
The message came from win 7. If you are connected
to wifi I think it does the reactivation automatically and
quietly.

cheers
DS

******************************************************>>>>
>From Dale Sterner - MS organic chemistry
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo00975a052
*******************************************************>>>>

Police Urge Americans to Carry This With Them at All Times
The Observer
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58fa107eebcb5107e4c43st03duc

Re: WIFI on DOS (was: bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files)

Dale E Sterner
I find that your MS dos 7.1 has been doing a little better
than FREEDOS. Jemmex sometimes hangs up.
Corel made great DOS software. I use their Qpro
to do my taxes. I fill in the blanks and it calclates my tax.

cheers
DS

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 18:49:08 -0400 (EDT) Karen Lewellen
<[hidden email]> writes:

> [...]
> one
> > guy on BTTR recently mentioned needing. Not sure what is perfectly
> > ideal here (VDosPlus??). BTW, QEMU 2.9.0 was just released today
> (but
> > I'm unaware of any relevant changes for us).
> >
> > Another long shot would be DOS emulation in the browser via
> > Javascript. Normally I would shun that for being too buggy or
> slow,
> > but there are TONS of Javascript emulators. It's shocking
> actually,
> > and some are amazingly good (and network-aware), e.g. OpenRISC. Of
> > course, DOS is not high priority, and copy.sh's V86 is still too
> > buggy, but we can dream, can't we?   ;-)
> >
> >> Proceeding without knowledge is a good way to shoot yourself in
> *both* feet.
> >
> > Shooting your foot off? Yes, C++17 was finalized recently.   :-))

13 Secrets Cruise Workers Don't Want You To Know
trend-chaser.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58fa12e0bd3fc12e04ff1st01duc

Re: WIFI on DOS (was: bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files)

geneb
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Dale E Sterner wrote:

> The win 7 was a 32 bit copy purchased on Amazon.
> The software was a dvd converter to convert dvds to mp4.
> It didn't work on XP so I wanted to try it on win 7; didn't work
> there either. The 1st activation was slow painful and
> successful. Win 7 gave warning about making changes.
> I followed all instructions to the letter.
> The message came from win 7. If you are connected
> to wifi I think it does the reactivation automatically and
> quietly.

Windows will give a 30 day grace period before a new installs activation
is required.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

http://scarlet.deltasoft.com - Get it _today_!

Re: WIFI on DOS (was: bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files)

Thomas Mueller
> I find that your MS dos 7.1 has been doing a little better
> than FREEDOS. Jemmex sometimes hangs up.
> Corel made great DOS software. I use their Qpro
> to do my taxes. I fill in the blanks and it calclates my tax.

> cheers
> DS

I too used Borland Quattro Pro for DOS, through v5, to calculate income taxes.

That was the last DOS version.  I don't think Corel did anything with Quattro Pro for DOS, but continued Quattro Pro for Windows for some time.

I was able to run Quattro Pro 5 for DOS in DOSBox but felt better with straight DOS.

I used OS/2 Warp 3 and 4 DOS session, DR-DOS 7.03 and later FreeDOS.

Tom

Re: WIFI on DOS (was: bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files)

Dale E Sterner
I have Qpro 5.6 but haven't used it yet. Still using version 3
The macros are powerful and a lot earier to use than
Excel. Version 5.6 is said to have a solver built in
like TK solver. One of these days I'll find out.

cheers
DS

******************************************************>>>>
>From Dale Sterner - MS organic chemistry
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo00975a052
*******************************************************>>>>

1 Simple Trick Removes Eye Bags & Lip Lines in Seconds
Fit Mom Daily
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58fb65f34a85065f308cdst01duc

Re: WIFI on DOS (was: bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files)

Dale E Sterner
The packet driver link for dos come up FORBIDDEN.

cheers
DS

******************************************************>>>>
>From Dale Sterner - MS organic chemistry
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo00975a052
*******************************************************>>>>

Why Your City Doctors No Longer Prescribe Metformin
Vibrant Health Network
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58fb76272d2d7762615f8st02duc

Re: WIFI on DOS (was: bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files)

Thomas Mueller
> I have Qpro 5.6 but haven't used it yet. Still using version 3
> The macros are powerful and a lot earier to use than
> Excel. Version 5.6 is said to have a solver built in
> like TK solver. One of these days I'll find out.

> cheers
> DS

Last Qpro version for DOS was 5.  Was there a 5.6?  DOS or Windows?

Tom

Re: WIFI on DOS (was: bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files)

Dale E Sterner
On Ebay I purchased a cd with unreleased Corel dos
software. There would have been a 5.6 version had it been
released. Some woman got it from a boyfriend who
worked for Corel and then sold it on Ebay for about $150.
I was high bid.

cheers
DS

******************************************************>>>>
>From Dale Sterner - MS organic chemistry
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo00975a052
*******************************************************>>>>

Whatever Happened To Nancy Kerrigan?
trend-chaser.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58fcbbdf8c0f63bdf76f2st02duc

Re: Corel dos ebay thing

Eric Auer-3

Hi Dale,

is this actually a version of DOS? Or just an
unreleased intermediate version of wordperfect?
And of course, what is included? Which license?

Cheers, Eric

ps: you forgot to update the subject in your
freedos-user mail, it still says "wifi on dos"

Re: Corel dos ebay thing

Thomas Mueller
from Dale Sterner:

> On Ebay I purchased a cd with unreleased Corel dos
> software. There would have been a 5.6 version had it been
> released. Some woman got it from a boyfriend who
> worked for Corel and then sold it on Ebay for about $150.
> I was high bid.

Eric Auer:

Hi Dale,

> is this actually a version of DOS? Or just an
> unreleased intermediate version of wordperfect?
> And of course, what is included? Which license?

> Cheers, Eric

> ps: you forgot to update the subject in your
> freedos-user mail, it still says "wifi on dos"

It seemed strange that a version of Quattro Pro following 5 would be 5.6 as opposed to 5.1 or 5.5.

Now I migrate as much as possible to Gnumeric.

In the days of Quattro Pro 5 for DOS, I never heard of wi-fi or BSD checksums.

Tom

Re: Corel dos ebay thing

dmccunney
On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Thomas Mueller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seemed strange that a version of Quattro Pro following 5 would be 5.6 as opposed to 5.1 or 5.5.

Versions are frequently skipped when software is released.  Remember
Dale said this was *unreleased* software.  (I don't recall offhand
whether there was an actual Quattro 5.5 release.)

> Now I migrate as much as possible to Gnumeric.

What has your experience been?

> In the days of Quattro Pro 5 for DOS, I never heard of wi-fi or BSD checksums.

Back then, Wifi didn't exist, and BSD required an AT&T source license
to run, since it derived from AT&T code.  Checksums were around, but
rather simpler and easily spoofed.  Nobody cared about that because no
one was *trying* to.

______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519

Re: Corel dos ebay thing

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Eric Auer <[hidden email]>

Hi Dale,

is this actually a version of DOS? Or just an
unreleased intermediate version of wordperfect?
And of course, what is included? Which license?

Cheers, Eric

ps: you forgot to update the subject in your
freedos-user mail, it still says "wifi on dos"

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: Quattro Pro releases (was: Corel dos...)

Felix Miata-3
dmccunney composed on 2017-04-23 17:52 (UTC-0400):

> Versions are frequently skipped when software is released.  Remember
> Dale said this was *unreleased* software.  (I don't recall offhand
> whether there was an actual Quattro 5.5 release.)

QPro 5.5 was released by Novell. I still have its manuals, and still keep 5.6
running 24/7 (in OS/2 in its eComStation incarnation).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Corel dos ebay thing

Karen Lewellen-2
From: dmccunney <[hidden email]>

______

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 6:16 PM, Felix Miata <[hidden email]> wrote:
> dmccunney composed on 2017-04-23 17:52 (UTC-0400):
>
>> Versions are frequently skipped when software is released.  Remember
>> Dale said this was *unreleased* software.  (I don't recall offhand
>> whether there was an actual Quattro 5.5 release.)
>
> QPro 5.5 was released by Novell. I still have its manuals, and still keep 5.6
> running 24/7 (in OS/2 in its eComStation incarnation).

Okay, thanks.  That's what I more or less remembered.

Corel acquired the software from Novell.  Novell under Ray Noorda was
on an acquisitions binge, and acquired Word Perfect, Quattro Pro and
other stuff.  They appeared to be trying to compete with Microsoft
across the board, but never really put the pieces together in a
coherent whole.  Noorda got pushed out by the board, and Novell
retreated from the applications market.
______

From: Felix Miata <[hidden email]>

dmccunney composed on 2017-04-23 17:52 (UTC-0400):

> Versions are frequently skipped when software is released.  Remember
> Dale said this was *unreleased* software.  (I don't recall offhand
> whether there was an actual Quattro 5.5 release.)

QPro 5.5 was released by Novell. I still have its manuals, and still keep 5.6
running 24/7 (in OS/2 in its eComStation incarnation).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: less than infinite (276:10/901)

From: dmccunney <[hidden email]>

From: "Thomas Mueller" <[hidden email]>

from Dale Sterner:

> On Ebay I purchased a cd with unreleased Corel dos
> software. There would have been a 5.6 version had it been
> released. Some woman got it from a boyfriend who
> worked for Corel and then sold it on Ebay for about $150.
> I was high bid.

Eric Auer:

Hi Dale,

> is this actually a version of DOS? Or just an
> unreleased intermediate version of wordperfect?
> And of course, what is included? Which license?

> Cheers, Eric

> ps: you forgot to update the subject in your
> freedos-user mail, it still says "wifi on dos"

It seemed strange that a version of Quattro Pro following 5 would be 5.6 as
opposed to 5.1 or 5.5.

Now I migrate as much as possible to Gnumeric.

In the days of Quattro Pro 5 for DOS, I never heard of wi-fi or BSD checksums.

Tom

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: WIFI on DOS (was: bsum - compute BSD checksums of your files)

Dan Schmidt
Is this thread still about wireless for Dos?  If not, sorry for posting.

If so, I bought a wireless to ethernet bridge - smaller than a deck of cards, runs on usb power - works great for my Dos machine.  I tried a wifi card that supposedly supported dos - never could get it working, threw it away in disgust.