Quantcast

debian sarge+dosemu+freedos

Julien C.-2
Hye,
I have already requested help on the debian fr users list, but they
haven't solved my problem.
I'm trying to install compaq utilities on an old deskpro.I have the dos
executable from the compaq support site.It create three floppies to
install the compaq utilities.It use the format command and an (compaq?)
command to return a boot floppy.But i have error messages:
C:\>format a:
Insert new diskette for drive A:
and press ENTER when ready...

Unknown error.  Error code:  519
#and
D:\DOSEMU\F10VP\SDOS>bootsec.exe /W /F:bootdsk3 /D:A:
bootsec: could not perform WRITE operation.  rc = 207H
#in the compaq utility context
You must have 3 blank diskettes to build
the diskette version of this software.
= To create the PC Diagnostics diskette, insert a blank =
= 1.44mb diskette into the Floppy drive. =
= Label this disk Personal Computer Diagnostics =
= Test and Inspect (Boot Disk) =
Press any key to continue ...

Insert new diskette for drive A:
and press ENTER when ready...

Unknown error.  Error code:  519
bootsec: could not perform WRITE operation.  rc = 207H

I have already solved some syntax problem.It was no space on some echo
line, but a point.
I tryed to search on the ml archives, but i "meet" a bug when i use the
option "require all words" and want to see the next page:

    Error parsing query: Encountered "AND" at line 1, column 11. Was
 expecting one of:  ... "+" ... "-" ... "(" ...  ...  ...  ...      ...
                   "[" ...     "{" ...      ...
If necessary i can send the dosemu.conf. I can say that i don't touch
it,it's the default debian conf.

Thanks for all.

Julien

re: debian sarge+dosemu+freedos

Eric Auer

Hi, so you want to format a real diskette from within dosemu?
Or just a disk image which you later copy to a real diskette
with the Linux "dd" tool? The latter might work better.

You tried to create 3 diskettes with Compaq deskpro tools and
got error 207h or 519 (both are the same value).

> C:\>format a:
> Unknown error.  Error code:  519
> D:\DOSEMU\F10VP\SDOS>bootsec.exe /W /F:bootdsk3 /D:A:
> bootsec: could not perform WRITE operation.  rc = 207H

This error code means: You tried to access a drive in classic
"drive with at most 64k sectors" style (drive is at most 32 MB)
and DOS replied "you have to use DOS 3.31/newer style". Your
Compaq tools do not support that, it seems, at least not for
diskette.

Your tools are right: Diskettes are smaller than 32 MB, so they
should accept the small-style call. Please try if this happens
with some recent kernel version. For example, download the 8086-
compatible (386-optimized is less stable!) OpenWatcom-compiled
FreeDOS cvs stable kernel from http://fdos.org/kernel/ and the
classic kernel version 2035a from:

DOSEMU kernel installation is easy, just replace kernel.sys by
the new version in the directory or the diskimage or partition
which has the role of C: drive for your DOSEMU.

Let us know if the problem still happens with 2035a kernel or
cvs stable kernel, or maybe both, or if the problem got solved
by updating the kernel. Then we will either fix the kernel or
tell the Debian people that they use an old FreeDOS version :-).

Eric

Re: re: debian sarge+dosemu+freedos

Julien C.-2
Thanks a lot for your time and your help.

>Hi, so you want to format a real diskette from within dosemu?
>Or just a disk image which you later copy to a real diskette
>with the Linux "dd" tool? The latter might work better.

I'm trying to format real diskette from within dosemu...
But if i can't do it quickly, i will try to create disks images
which i later copy to real diskette with the linux dd tool.
I will continu to help you to debug dosemu/freedos kernel and/or
other tools.

>Please try if this happens
>with some recent kernel version. For example, download the 8086-
>compatible (386-optimized is less stable!) OpenWatcom-compiled
>FreeDOS cvs stable kernel from http://fdos.org/kernel/ and the
>classic kernel version 2035a from:
>http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5109

I did exactly what you say to me to do.I just replace the kernel.sys
file.I just tryed the format tool,not the compaq bootsec tool as you
say to me, i "meet" the same problem.
But i have still the same problem,with error 519.

Are you sur i don't need to update other file(s) (maybe in
dosemu/freedos dependencies) ?

So, as i'm not discouraged,i continued to search a quick solution.
and...
I have found it ! :D
I gone again on the dosemu site,find the binaries stable release
(1.2.2), install it,put the compaq exe(which contain the bootsec tool)
and try to run it. And it work fine.It format ma real diskette,and put
on it the files.

For information, i have this version on my debian:
dosemu 1.2.1
freedos b8p (it's the debian classification,i suppose the b is for
beta,but i don't know for the p (maybe public?))

I have tested to update the format tool from the dosemu binaries release
on my debian system (with the FreeDOS kernel version 1.1.35w(the
Development Kernel from this page http://fdos.org/kernel/),with FreeDOS
kernel version 1.1.28 (Build 2028) (from debian package),with FreeDOS
kernel version 1.1.35 (Build 2035a)(from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5109) ,and with
FreeDOS kernel version 1.1.35 (Build 2035b-cvs)(the stable Kernel from
this page http://fdos.org/kernel/)and they work,but not the bootsec
compaq tools(i retryed only with 1.1.35w).

I have my diskettes :D

If i can to do something else to help you...

Julien