Quantcast

development workflow?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

development workflow?

Wolfram Sang-3
Hi all,

I saw you are planning a release for the end of the year and I'd like to
contribute back and do a personal bug sprint until then. I am currently
installing FreeDOS on my old MMX233-Laptop (on which I ported
svgatextmode back to DOS [1] years ago :D), but I use dosemu as well.

Since I usually hack on the Linux Kernel, I am tuned to git-based
workflows. I found git-repos at https://github.com/FDOS which are not
mentioned in the docs/wiki but I assume they are official?

So, I'd think the usual way is that I attach patches to bugs in the SF
bugtracker. And if I find minor things on the way? I create new bug
entries? Or patches to the list? I am fine with both. (For completeness,
I wanted to have a look at #155, and just by glimpsing through FreeCom
code, I found a typo in a string).

And is there something like a release script for tools? Looking at bug
#142 ("MODE command - can't set "STOP=2" ), the fix is really trivial
and the patch is already there. Just the release missing. I am sure
there is a script for that?

Thanks,

   Wolfram

[1] http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/user/svgatextmode_1_9_16rc1.txt


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-devel

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: development workflow?

Eric Auer-3

Hi Wolfram,

> And is there something like a release script for tools? Looking at bug
> #142 ("MODE command - can't set "STOP=2" ), the fix is really trivial
> and the patch is already there. Just the release missing.

I am sure that I have already sent that to people taking care of the
new distro such as Jerome, so I wonder at which point the release of
this MODE update got stuck... Who knows?

Jerome, Jim, Rugxulo, Wolfram, Bernd: You are all invited to receive
another copy of MODE2015.ZIP (2015-11-25) but I would swear that one
of you already made an IMPROVED version of the same file which is a
bit more accurate in terms of package structure. Maybe YOU can send
ME a copy of that again? :-)

Ah wait, it already is online, but at a place which you will NOT FIND
with some obvious search terms, unfortunately! The locations linked
from the LSM software list all still have the old version online :-(

http://ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/base/

Enjoy the updpated MODE from the 1.2 repository, Wolfram :-)

Cheers, Eric




------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-devel

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: development workflow?

Wolfram Sang-3
Hi Eric,

> Ah wait, it already is online, but at a place which you will NOT FIND
> with some obvious search terms, unfortunately! The locations linked
> from the LSM software list all still have the old version online :-(

I see, so it is not in its own folder [1], but luckily it is already in
the 1.2 repo. Thanks for the heads up!

So, Bug #142 could be closed.

[1] http://ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/mode/


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-devel

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: development workflow?

Jerome Shidel
Some of the stuff on the current site is out dated. I think that mostly Jim has been working on the new site and keeping the old one in static mode. I could be wrong. I haven't been following that aspect very closely.

The new 1.2 repo creates HTML pages for the packages automatically. These should be crawled by google (sooner or later). So, should be searchable. Just check somewhere between page 300 and 400 of the results to find it. :-)


On Oct 24, 2016, at 11:00 AM, Wolfram Sang <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Eric,

Ah wait, it already is online, but at a place which you will NOT FIND
with some obvious search terms, unfortunately! The locations linked
from the LSM software list all still have the old version online :-(

I see, so it is not in its own folder [1], but luckily it is already in
the 1.2 repo. Thanks for the heads up!

So, Bug #142 could be closed.

[1] http://ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/mode/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
Freedos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Command Line: Reinvented for Modern Developers
Did the resurgence of CLI tooling catch you by surprise?
Reconnect with the command line and become more productive.
Learn the new .NET and ASP.NET CLI. Get your free copy!
http://sdm.link/telerik
_______________________________________________
Freedos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: development workflow?

Rugxulo
In reply to this post by Wolfram Sang-3
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:45 AM, Wolfram Sang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I saw you are planning a release for the end of the year and I'd like to
> contribute back and do a personal bug sprint until then.

I'm not sure there's enough time to squeeze every last bit into the
upcoming release. It's basically finished, AFAIK. I think it might be
wise not to get our hopes too high to cram literally every fix in
there, instead preferring a (long-term) 1.3 release for anything
further (especially to lessen pressure on Jerome, who has enough on
his plate).

> I am currently
> installing FreeDOS on my old MMX233-Laptop (on which I ported
> svgatextmode back to DOS [1] years ago :D), but I use dosemu as well.

Welcome (back)!

> Since I usually hack on the Linux Kernel, I am tuned to git-based
> workflows. I found git-repos at https://github.com/FDOS which are not
> mentioned in the docs/wiki but I assume they are official?

Not official, no, not that I'm aware of, but anything by Jeremy
(PerditionC) is probably semi-official since he's a major contributor.

https://github.com/PerditionC/fdkernel

> So, I'd think the usual way is that I attach patches to bugs in the SF
> bugtracker. And if I find minor things on the way? I create new bug
> entries? Or patches to the list? I am fine with both.

Either is okay, but eventually someone (me?) will have to grab them
and put them elsewhere. FreeCOM is a bad example since it's fairly
complex and nobody seems majorly interested in maintaining it.

So, for example, I did manually mirror two patches (setp, shift) to
here, just so that they wouldn't be lost / hard to find / unknown
(lacking any better, more perfect, solution):

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/command/patch/

> And is there something like a release script for tools? Looking at bug
> #142 ("MODE command - can't set "STOP=2" ), the fix is really trivial
> and the patch is already there. Just the release missing. I am sure
> there is a script for that?

The new MODE release wasn't formally announced (nor to me), nor did I
get any .ZIP to disseminate. So I only propagated the tiny patch.

But now that I see the .ZIP, I've mirrored it to the traditional place
(and symlinked it with release date in the name for clarity):

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/mode/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Command Line: Reinvented for Modern Developers
Did the resurgence of CLI tooling catch you by surprise?
Reconnect with the command line and become more productive.
Learn the new .NET and ASP.NET CLI. Get your free copy!
http://sdm.link/telerik
_______________________________________________
Freedos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: development workflow?

Rugxulo
In reply to this post by Jerome Shidel
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 9:29 AM, Eric Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah wait, it already is online, but at a place which you will NOT FIND
> with some obvious search terms, unfortunately! The locations linked
> from the LSM software list all still have the old version online :-(

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some of the stuff on the current site is out dated. I think that mostly Jim
> has been working on the new site and keeping the old one in static mode. I
> could be wrong. I haven't been following that aspect very closely.

AFAIK, the online Software List (.LSMs) is indeed "read only" at the
moment (and has been for several months).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Command Line: Reinvented for Modern Developers
Did the resurgence of CLI tooling catch you by surprise?
Reconnect with the command line and become more productive.
Learn the new .NET and ASP.NET CLI. Get your free copy!
http://sdm.link/telerik
_______________________________________________
Freedos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: development workflow?

Wolfram Sang-3
In reply to this post by Rugxulo

> I'm not sure there's enough time to squeeze every last bit into the
> upcoming release. It's basically finished, AFAIK.

Yeah, I understand that at this point it is all about the installer. In
deed I wondered if maybe one or the other fix could go into FreeCOM,
didn't know about its sad state.

> Either is okay, but eventually someone (me?) will have to grab them
> and put them elsewhere. FreeCOM is a bad example since it's fairly
> complex and nobody seems majorly interested in maintaining it.

I see. Well, I found it the most interesting part to hack on :) Will set
up a repo somewhere with my patches on top, so they are around and
accessible.

> But now that I see the .ZIP, I've mirrored it to the traditional place
> (and symlinked it with release date in the name for clarity):

Thanks! That means the bug can really be closed now.

Regards,

   Wolfram


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Command Line: Reinvented for Modern Developers
Did the resurgence of CLI tooling catch you by surprise?
Reconnect with the command line and become more productive.
Learn the new .NET and ASP.NET CLI. Get your free copy!
http://sdm.link/telerik
_______________________________________________
Freedos-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-devel
Loading...