Quantcast

driver for onboard sound chip?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

driver for onboard sound chip?

Michael Reichenbach
I have onboard sound. In Windows I am using a driver called C-Media AC97
Audio device.

In DOS it`s called SiS 7012 Sound Codec. MidiPort 330, Compatibility
n/a, Roland MPU-401, everything else (dma, irq...) n/a.

The old sb16 drivers, the one from via and one from SiS with another
number (SiS 7018) are not working.

Therefore I guess I have no way to get this onboard soundchip to work in
DOS with also no way to get sb16 compatibility?


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: driver for onboard sound chip?

Eric Auer

Hi Michael,

> I have onboard sound. In Windows I am using a driver called
> C-Media AC97  Audio device.

Only a few new games and software like MPXPLAY media player for DOS
can use AC97 directly, but as you see, it can be done :-).

> In DOS it`s called SiS 7012 Sound Codec. MidiPort 330, Compatibility
> n/a, Roland MPU-401, everything else (dma, irq...) n/a.
>
> The old sb16 drivers, the one from via and one from SiS
> with another  number (SiS 7018) are not working.

You might be able to trick the other driver into working
for your chip, but you should do some research first. For
example try to compare chip data sheets on the internet.
No need to check the deep details, just get an impression.
Only after that, check here or on bttr-software.de forum
whether somebody can help you to play with the driver.

> Therefore I guess I have no way to get this onboard soundchip
> to work in DOS with also no way to get sb16 compatibility?

There is one generic solution: A driver which traps all
attempts to access SB16 soundblaster hardware and forwards
the collected sound data to a driver for AC97. This is
how the drivers for SBLive and SBPCI work - those two PCI
soundcards do not actually have SB16 hardware, they are
AC97 and come with a "trap style" DOS driver. Problem is
that only EMM386 compatible games work with it, as the
"hardware trap" needs protected mode, as does EMM386...

You should check the BTTR forum mentioned above: A while
ago there was some talk about collecting donations for
funding for writing a free open source "SB16 to AC97"
driver, for example based on the virtual soundcard code
of DOSEMU or Bochs combined with the AC97 driver of the
MPXPLAY player or another OS, e.g. Alsa-project drivers.

Eric



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: driver for onboard sound chip?

Dale Mahalko
FYI, 404 Not Found
http://bttr-software.de/

-Dale

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Eric Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Only after that, check here or on bttr-software.de forum
> whether somebody can help you to play with the driver.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: driver for onboard sound chip?

Eric Auer

Hi!

> FYI, 404 Not Found
> http://bttr-software.de/

Interesting, the page only works if you add the www:
http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum.php :-)

Eric



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: driver for onboard sound chip?

Michael Reichenbach
In reply to this post by Eric Auer
Btw, it`s no problem for me to read english. I feel that I understand
everything. =) Just writing correct grammar is hard for me.

What is SNAP audio
(http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/?n=Main.SoundCardChip#toc5)?
I did look into it but I don`t get wise. It looks like it isn`t useful
for endusers to turn *any* card into soundblaster compatible?

Eric Auer wrote:

>> I have onboard sound. In Windows I am using a driver called
>> C-Media AC97  Audio device.
>
> Only a few new games and software like MPXPLAY media player for DOS
> can use AC97 directly, but as you see, it can be done :-).
>
>> In DOS it`s called SiS 7012 Sound Codec. MidiPort 330, Compatibility
>> n/a, Roland MPU-401, everything else (dma, irq...) n/a.
>>
>> The old sb16 drivers, the one from via and one from SiS
>> with another  number (SiS 7018) are not working.
>
> You might be able to trick the other driver into working
> for your chip, but you should do some research first. For
> example try to compare chip data sheets on the internet.
> No need to check the deep details, just get an impression.
> Only after that, check here or on bttr-software.de forum
> whether somebody can help you to play with the driver.

SiS 7012 (onboard) (there are no dos drivers):
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-intel8x0

SiS 7018 (there are dos drivers):
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-trident
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiS_630/730 says it`s SoundBlaster Pro/16
Compliant
looks like pci, but unsure if exclusively used for pci

Don`t think this could work. Them seam to be very different. But I play
to create a set of screenshots and then ask in that forum.

>> Therefore I guess I have no way to get this onboard soundchip
>> to work in DOS with also no way to get sb16 compatibility?
>
> There is one generic solution: A driver which traps all
> attempts to access SB16 soundblaster hardware and forwards
> the collected sound data to a driver for AC97. This is
> how the drivers for SBLive and SBPCI work - those two PCI
> soundcards do not actually have SB16 hardware, they are
> AC97 and come with a "trap style" DOS driver. Problem is
> that only EMM386 compatible games work with it, as the
> "hardware trap" needs protected mode, as does EMM386...

Sounds nice, not perfect, but promising. :) In theory possible. :)

In theory also extensible firmware interface could be deliverance from
any incompatibly problems - if someone writes the needed extensions.

> You should check the BTTR forum mentioned above: A while
> ago there was some talk about collecting donations for
> funding for writing a free open source "SB16 to AC97"
> driver, for example based on the virtual soundcard code
> of DOSEMU or Bochs combined with the AC97 driver of the
> MPXPLAY player or another OS, e.g. Alsa-project drivers.

Well, I searched the forums for ac97 but did not found anything about
SB16 to AC97 founding.

Greetings
Michael Reichenbach

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2008.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: driver for onboard sound chip?

Eric Auer

Hi Michael!

> What is SNAP audio

Hmm something which almost fits but does not really fit for anything? ;-)

> SiS 7012 (onboard) (there are no dos drivers):
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-intel8x0
> SiS 7018 (there are dos drivers):
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-trident

You are right, sounds too different. i810 etc are AC97-ish, not SB.

> > soundcards do not actually have SB16 hardware, they are
> > AC97 and come with a "trap style" DOS driver...

> Sounds nice, not perfect, but promising. :) In theory possible. :)

As said, SBPCI / SBLive drivers are exactly that.

> In theory also extensible firmware interface could be deliverance

Hmmm I do not think that BIOS provides hardware traps...

> Well, I searched the forums for ac97 but did not found anything

Odd... Maybe it was this one:

www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=3174&page=0&order=time&category=all

Eric



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2008.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
_______________________________________________
Freedos-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user
Loading...