Quantcast

fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

Paul Dufresne
After hours of network configuration, I have been able to have FreeDOS
fdnpkg giving something
else than bootp and dhcp configuration failing messages under QEMU.

But now I see this (as an example) for fdnpkg checkupdates:
Repository download failed!

If I go to http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/devel/
can see the files there.

I have seen that current source have a fdnpkg.cnf file with different
repos, but I had not
tested it yet (a bit of manipulations to copy the file inside
freedos.raw hard disk image).

Re: fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

Paul Dufresne
I just copied and tested with source code fdnpkg.cfg.
Same "Repository download failed!" but this time on packages of
http://svarog386.vister.fr.

typo: http://svarog386.viste.fr

> I just copied and tested with source code fdnpkg.cfg.
> Same "Repository download failed!" but this time on packages of
> http://svarog386.vister.fr.

>> After hours of network configuration, I have been able to have FreeDOS
>> fdnpkg giving something
>> else than bootp and dhcp configuration failing messages under QEMU.
>>
>> But now I see this (as an example) for fdnpkg checkupdates:
>> Repository download failed!
>>
>> If I go to http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/devel/
>> can see the files there.
>>
>> I have seen that current source have a fdnpkg.cnf file with different
>> repos, but I had not
>> tested it yet (a bit of manipulations to copy the file inside
>> freedos.raw hard disk image).

Re: fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

Mateusz Viste-5
Can you please confirm whether basic WATT32 connectivity works for you?
Typically, are you able to download anything using wget ?

Mateusz

On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 08:59:05 -0500, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> After hours of network configuration, I have been able to have FreeDOS
> fdnpkg giving something else than bootp and dhcp configuration failing
> messages under QEMU.
>
> But now I see this (as an example) for fdnpkg checkupdates:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/
distributions/1.2/repos/devel/...
> Repository download failed!
>
> If I go to
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/
distributions/1.2/repos/devel/
> can see the files there.
>
> I have seen that current source have a fdnpkg.cnf file with different
> repos, but I had not tested it yet (a bit of manipulations to copy the
> file inside freedos.raw hard disk image).

Re: fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

Paul Dufresne
I just copied ping.exe (WATTCP) and I now see I get ** Transmit fault **
Guess I need to put even more time to figure out how to configure network.
Sorry for noise.

Re: fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

Jerome Shidel
Hello Paul,

> On Nov 7, 2016, at 9:37 AM, Paul Dufresne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just copied ping.exe (WATTCP) and I now see I get ** Transmit fault **
> Guess I need to put even more time to figure out how to configure network.
> Sorry for noise.

Did you try the FDNET package?

I do not know if it will work form QEMU. I'm not really a QEMU user. It may or may not enable networking there.

If it does not and you manage to get it working, be sure to let us know exactly what you have to do to bring up network support on that platform. I may be able to include your solution in the FDNET package so everyone benefits from it.

Jerome

Re: fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

Paul Dufresne
No, I did not tried FDNET package yet.
I just found:
http://pclosmag.com/html/issues/201208/page11.html
which seems to be quite good.
l should be able to test tonight.

Re: fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

Paul Dufresne
Just as note to others, I just learn about:
qemu -device ?   [to list emulated devices available]
and:
-device driver[,prop[=value][,...]]

Add device driver. prop=value sets driver properties. Valid properties
depend on the driver. To get help on possible drivers and properties,
use -device help and -device driver,help.

Now I should be able to set IRQ used by qemu.

Re: fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

Paul Dufresne
It looks like PRODOS v.19.0 (latest with executable file in it) cannot
be used wth QEMU e1000 driver,
because QEMU e1000 driver would not correctly set EEPROM checksum:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1639983

Will try oldest version (18.5).

Re: fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

Paul Dufresne
First, it seems lsl must be run before E1000odi.com
But 18.5 give EEPROM checksum too.

Guess I will go toward ne2k driver.
Somehow, I have this strange feeling of having tried in the past, but
not really reminding.

There is also the Intel e1000 gigabit packet driver to try. http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/e1000pkt.html

Re: fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

Paul Dufresne
> There is also the Intel e1000 gigabit packet driver to try.
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/e1000pkt.html
With it when I do:
e1000pkt.com 0x60
I get:
PCI BIOS is required for this driver.

However I seems able to load PCNTPK.COM fine (with
qemu-system-i386 -hda freedos.raw -netdev user,id=usernet -device
pcnet,netdev=usernet
) but still have problem having programs give adequate results.

Re: fdnpkg: Repository download failed (ibiblio)

Paul Dufresne
Ah, finally with PCNTPK.COM, after erasing my own WATTCP.CFG file,
now fdnpkg seems to work (get it's configuration from bootp).

Was able to update repos.
Seems it have updated fdnpkg itself now.

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Paul Dufresne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, finally with PCNTPK.COM, after erasing my own WATTCP.CFG file,
> now fdnpkg seems to work (get it's configuration from bootp).
>
> Was able to update repos.
> Seems it have updated fdnpkg itself now.

Good that you got it working, but I could've saved you the trouble by
pointing you to my own (admittedly minimal) MetaDOS:

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/metados/

(Not perfect by any means, but it works for me.)

It also would be nice to know exactly which versions of VirtualBox
and/or QEMU you are testing (and what host OS version, bitness, if
VT-X, etc)?

For instance, I'm typically using (vanilla upstream) VBox 4.3.x and
QEMU 2.7.0 (Stefan Weil's builds) atop Win64 (mostly) but sometimes
older QEMU atop Linux.

AMDPD, aka PCNTPK, works in both VBox and QEMU (although older QEMU
versions needed NE2K instead). At least for me, that means both mTCP
(FTP) and Watt-32 (e.g. Links2, Wget) both work fine. I've heard that
one of the newer VBox 5.x versions has a network bug (regression), but
I haven't tested it.