freedos 1.2 archivers

Dimitris Zilaskos
Hi,

I did a full freedos 1.2 installation but not all archivers were installed. While I got them from the CD eventually from the ARCHIVERS directory I was wondering if that is supposed to happen.

Best regards,

Dimitris

Re: freedos 1.2 archivers

Jerome Shidel
Hello,

> On Aug 16, 2016, at 11:38 AM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I did a full freedos 1.2 installation but not all archivers were installed. While I got them from the CD eventually from the ARCHIVERS directory I was wondering if that is supposed to happen.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dimitris

Yes, for now.

There is roughly 400mb in about 100 packages that are included on the 1.2 cd and large USB stick versions that are included but not installed. At present they are considered extra/bonus packages.

Jerome

Re: freedos 1.2 archivers

Dimitris Zilaskos
Ok thanks. Would be awesome to have an option to get them installed.

Cheers,

Dimitris

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

> On Aug 16, 2016, at 11:38 AM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I did a full freedos 1.2 installation but not all archivers were installed. While I got them from the CD eventually from the ARCHIVERS directory I was wondering if that is supposed to happen.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dimitris

Yes, for now.

There is roughly 400mb in about 100 packages that are included on the 1.2 cd and large USB stick versions that are included but not installed. At present they are considered extra/bonus packages.

Jerome

Re: freedos 1.2 archivers

Jerome Shidel
If you run the installer in advanced mode, you can add them at installation by using detailed package selection.

You can switch the installer into Advanced mode at any point it is waiting on user input. For example, the installer runs in Normal mode when you boot. You continue through all the prompts until you reach the "BASE or ALL/FULL" package selection. Press CTRL+C, then select "Switch to Advanced mode" it will then return you back to the package set selection but now "Detailed selections" will be available.

If you run the installer from the command prompt, you can start it in advanced mode by using "SETUP adv"

There are many things the installer does (or tries to do) automatically in Normal mode. But in Advanced mode, nearly all of those decisions are left to the user.

Also, if you use FDIMPLES (installed with FULL/ALL), you can browse through and select packages to be installed. Similar to using some Linux package browsing systems like Yast. FDIMPLES does not do networking at present. So, you will need to have you CD inserted.

Jerome

On Aug 16, 2016, at 7:01 PM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok thanks. Would be awesome to have an option to get them installed.

Cheers,

Dimitris

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Jerome Shidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

> On Aug 16, 2016, at 11:38 AM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I did a full freedos 1.2 installation but not all archivers were installed. While I got them from the CD eventually from the ARCHIVERS directory I was wondering if that is supposed to happen.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Dimitris

Yes, for now.

There is roughly 400mb in about 100 packages that are included on the 1.2 cd and large USB stick versions that are included but not installed. At present they are considered extra/bonus packages.

Jerome

Re: freedos 1.2 archivers

Dimitris Zilaskos
Hi,

Thank you for the advice. I tried FDIMPLES, seem to show everything installed, but for some reason p7zip is missing from its list.

Best regards,

Dimitris

On Aug 18, 2016, at 6:46 PM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for the advice. I tried FDIMPLES, seem to show everything installed, but for some reason p7zip is missing from its list.

You sure. It should be listed between LZOP and  TAR. But, you need to scroll down to see it.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 5:46 PM, Dimitris Zilaskos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the advice. I tried FDIMPLES, seem to show everything
> installed, but for some reason p7zip is missing from its list.

I don't really recommend p7zip for heavy use. For one thing, there is
no active (DOS) maintainer, and it's somewhat buggy because of that
(and the fact that it's really a very sloppy POSIX port that barely
works with DJGPP). I don't grok C++, so I wasn't much further help
regarding it. It does work, but it's far from perfect.

If you just want to unpack .7z files, use 7zdec. But normally, as Jim
Hall always tells us, ZIP is preferred overall, so just use (old but
good) Info-Zip (zip / unzip).

(Or you could run old standalone Win32 7za [sic] under HX. That worked
pretty well. Besides, the DJGPP build of p7zip doesn't have 7z [sic]
anyways ... although even that build [Win32] I did briefly get running
under HX).

There's also upstream DJGPP builds of XZ, if you just can't live
without LZMA. And a billion other archivers (UHarc??). I honestly
haven't kept up in recent years (not sure why I ever bothered, I'm not
savvy enough to understand the details anyways).

Re: freedos 1.2 archivers

Dimitris Zilaskos
Thank you for your replies. I think I must had the wrong cd inserted, because now I can see all the packages as expected. Sorry for the confusion!

Cheers,

Dimitris

Hi,