Quantcast

hmmmm

Tom

hmmmm

Tom
Sorry for the link I haven't used thus machine to send emails in a long
time.  The antivirus tags it with it.  I had suspected that I wouldn't
be able to kernel merge, but it's nice to have thoughts. The multiuser
will have to wait whilst I wait on the response from Caldera,  They have
an open source codebase that is not gpl compatible.  Maybe they would
change the licensing or discuss possibilities since I asked.  I could
ask for the DOS 4.0 codebase instead.  Seems reasonable.  I will instead
right now temporarily fork the code onto github.  I will address any
bugs that come up, but it shouldn't be too bad.  I will be using the
stable version as my base.  All I want to do is add kernel hooks to the
Forth interpreter.  If that works out it might be worth my while to do
some software porting.  I want to bring this closer to *nix
(specifically netbsd) and one other unnamed OS.  So if Forth does or
doesn't pan out Lua seems just as viable...  but not as favorable.

Thanks for the response
- Tom

---

Re: hmmmm

tom ehlert
> Sorry for the link I haven't used thus machine to send emails in a long
> time.  The antivirus tags it with it.  I had suspected that I wouldn't
> be able to kernel merge, but it's nice to have thoughts. The multiuser
> will have to wait whilst I wait on the response from Caldera,  They have
> an open source codebase that is not gpl compatible.

the Caldera DRDOS is not very open at all; they published the source
for the kernel exactly once, with no source release before or after.

> Maybe they would
> change the licensing or discuss possibilities since I asked.
extremely unlikely; other people tried this (~10 years ago)

> I could
> ask for the DOS 4.0 codebase instead.  Seems reasonable.

good luck, but don't hold your breath

Tom

Re: hmmmm

Travis Siegel
I don't know if it's still available, but pts dos has source that you're
allowed to use in your projects.  I haven't looked at it recently, so I
don't remember what license it was released under, (if any) but I do
recall that as long as you held a license for pts dos, you were free to
use the source for your own projects, so that may be an option for you,
even though I don't remember the dtails.  I will have to dig out my copy
and see what it said about distribution, I don't remember what that part