Quantcast

intel PRO/1000 DOS packet driver

Ulrich Hansen-2
Hi,

I found that the intel DOS packet driver for the PRO/1000 network card isn’t in the CRYNWR package.

As it is Open Source since 2007 I felt free to package it into an FDNPKG compatible zip-file.

You can find it here:

cheers
Ulrich

Re: intel PRO/1000 DOS packet driver

Mateusz Viste-4
On 24/08/2016 12:47, Ulrich Hansen wrote:
> I found that the intel DOS packet driver for the PRO/1000 network card
> isn’t in the CRYNWR package.
>
> As it is Open Source since 2007 I felt free to package it into an FDNPKG
> compatible zip-file.
>
> You can find it here:
> https://github.com/ulrich-hansen/E1000PKT

Looks great, thank you!

Mateusz

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 5:47 AM, Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found that the intel DOS packet driver for the PRO/1000 network card isn’t
> in the CRYNWR package.
>
> As it is Open Source since 2007 I felt free to package it into an FDNPKG
> compatible zip-file.

In the interest of keeping useful things like this mirrored, I've
(also) put it here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/net/e1000pkt.zip

(If you can think of a better place for it, let me know.)

Re: M2WAT

Ulrich Hansen-2

Am 26.08.2016 um 00:29 schrieb Rugxulo <[hidden email]>:
I’ve (also) put it here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/net/e1000pkt.zip

(If you can think of a better place for it, let me know.)

Thank you. There is of course no better place.

What do you think of M2WAT? I use it quite often. It is Open Source, written by cordata, a FreeDOS user, in a post to this list. Wouldn’t it be a good candidate for the net section of your repo? I know it is a very small utility…

cheers
Ulrich

Re: M2WAT

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What do you think of M2WAT? I use it quite often. It is Open Source, written
> by cordata, a FreeDOS user, in a post to this list.

I vaguely remember when he posted it, but I never had urgent need to use it.

> Wouldn’t it be a good candidate for the net section of your repo? I know it is a very small
> utility…

Maybe.

> https://github.com/ulrich-hansen/M2WAT

Two minor nitpicks:

1). The .COM isn't even UPX'd. Bloat!  ;-)
2). The source is named "W2WAT.C", which is confusing.

Otherwise, seems fine. Should these minor issues be fixed first?

Re: M2WAT

Louis Santillan
Could this be done with a batch file using find?  I never written a
script using find like this but it seems plausible.

Really taking mTCP's config [0] to WaTTCP config [1] seems to be a
matter of doing:

MTCP.CFG                => WATTCP.CFG
PACKETINT 0x60
IPADDR 192.168.1.50     => my_ip=192.168.1.50
NETMASK 255.255.255.0   => netmask=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY 192.168.1.1     => gateway=192.168.1.1
NAMESERVER 192.168.1.1  => nameserver=192.168.1.1
MTU 1500

[0] http://freedos.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Networking_FreeDOS_-_mTCP#Configuration
[1] http://freedos.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Networking_FreeDOS_-_WATTCP

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 26.08.2016 um 00:29 schrieb Rugxulo <[hidden email]>:
>
> I’ve (also) put it here:
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/net/e1000pkt.zip
>
> (If you can think of a better place for it, let me know.)
>

> Thank you. There is of course no better place.
>
> What do you think of M2WAT? I use it quite often. It is Open Source, written
> by cordata, a FreeDOS user, in a post to this list. Wouldn’t it be a good
> candidate for the net section of your repo? I know it is a very small
> utility…
>
> https://github.com/ulrich-hansen/M2WAT
>
> cheers
> Ulrich

Re: M2WAT

Louis Santillan
Made my own dog food:

<https://github.com/lpsantil/m2wat.bat>

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What do you think of M2WAT? I use it quite often. It is Open Source, written
>> by cordata, a FreeDOS user, in a post to this list.
>
> I vaguely remember when he posted it, but I never had urgent need to use it.
>
>> Wouldn’t it be a good candidate for the net section of your repo? I know it is a very small
>> utility…
>
> Maybe.
>
>> https://github.com/ulrich-hansen/M2WAT
>
> Two minor nitpicks:
>
> 1). The .COM isn't even UPX'd. Bloat!  ;-)
> 2). The source is named "W2WAT.C", which is confusing.
>
> Otherwise, seems fine. Should these minor issues be fixed first?

Re: M2WAT

Ulrich Hansen-2

Am 26.08.2016 um 08:28 schrieb Louis Santillan <[hidden email]>:

Hi Louis,
Thanks for your work! It’s a nice idea to use a batch file for it. I just tried it. It works but has some flaws yet. Here’s the feedback:

1. If I run the program in AUTOEXEC.BAT I get several error messages. See:

2. There should be some confirmation like "WATTCP.CFG has been updated".

3. The WATTCP.CFG is written with the values from MTCP.CFG. BUT: WATTCP.CFG is overwritten.
Only the values from MTCP.CFG are kept.

This can be a problem: WATTCP.CFG can be carefully crafted. Sometimes even passwords are stored there. It shouldn’t be overwritten.

See https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/wattcp.cfg for an example WATTCP.CFG with lots of settings.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Two minor nitpicks:

1). The .COM isn't even UPX'd. Bloat!  ;-)
2). The source is named "W2WAT.C", which is confusing.

Otherwise, seems fine. Should these minor issues be fixed first?

Yes I think these errors have been committed by me. I look into it (and might need some help with it).
M2WAT.COM worked with the example WATTCP.CFG and just updated the lines that needed it.

Thanks for your help!
cheers
Ulrich

Re: M2WAT

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 26.08.2016 um 08:28 schrieb Louis Santillan <[hidden email]>:
>
> Made my own dog food:
>
> <https://github.com/lpsantil/m2wat.bat>
>
> Hi Louis,
> Thanks for your work! It’s a nice idea to use a batch file for it. I just
> tried it. It works but has some flaws yet. Here’s the feedback:
>
> 1. If I run the program in AUTOEXEC.BAT I get several error messages. See:
> https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/m2wat.bat.png

Presumably due to this line:

REM -- Copyright (c) 2016, Louis P. Santillan <[hidden email]>

... so ...

FIX: Change "REM" to "::" and it should hopefully ignore that.

Re: M2WAT

Louis Santillan
Thanks for the feed.  I realized the issue redirection as soon as
Ulrich mentioned it.  Is it possible this is a bug wrt how FD
Command.com handles REM statements?  Obviously my expectation was that
REM was a true comment and not some pseudo NOP command that ignores
its arguments, allowing the redirection to continue to be processed by
the %SHELL%.   I'll fix this up tonight and also test against my MS
DOS VM.  Thanks for the fix suggestion as well Rugxulo.

And to your point about the batch file being dumb.  That was
intentional.  The mTCP config seems to be a lot less cumbersome even
if less configurable (?) than WatTCP config.  My intention was to
simply map what is obvious.  If someone has additional config, I'd
suggest doing something like

   dhcp
   m2wat
   type %WATTCP.CFG%\WATPERM.CFG>>%WATTCP.CFG%\WATTCP.CFG

On Aug 26, 2016 7:35 PM, "Louis Santillan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the feed.  I realized the issue redirection as soon as
> Ulrich mentioned it.  Is it possible this is a bug wrt how FD
> Command.com handles REM statements?  Obviously my expectation was that
> REM was a true comment and not some pseudo NOP command that ignores
> its arguments, allowing the redirection to continue to be processed by
> the %SHELL%.   I'll fix this up tonight and also test against my MS
> DOS VM.  Thanks for the fix suggestion as well Rugxulo.

No, IIRC, all major DOS shells have this quirk (maybe not XP's CMD, can't remember). So you can create a zero-byte file with "REM >blah", if needed.

I know, it's absurd and useless, not a great idea to rely on it. Like I said, you can avoid the issue with careful use of "::" when necessary ( > < | ). On the bright side, you save a whole byte per line!  :-)

Re: M2WAT

Ulrich Hansen-2

> Am 27.08.2016 um 02:35 schrieb Louis Santillan <[hidden email]>:
>
> My intention was to
> simply map what is obvious.  If someone has additional config, I'd
> suggest doing something like
>
>   dhcp
>   m2wat
>   type %WATTCP.CFG%\WATPERM.CFG>>%WATTCP.CFG%\WATTCP.CFG

That wouldn’t work. For instance for Arachne the WATTCP.CFG could look like this:

my_ip = 0.0.0.0
netmask = 255.255.255.0
gateway = 0.0.0.0
#
sockdelay=40
hostname=arachne
mss=512

and the nameservers would be configured in ARACHNE.CFG.

Your workaround would configure nameservers in WATTCP.CFG too. But this could mess things up. It shouldn’t configure a nameserver if there is none configured in WATTCP.CFG.

Unfortunately M2WAT.COM by cordata also does not get this right.

David Dunfields DHCP program from
http://classiccmp.org/dunfield/dos/index.htm

does it correctly. There is even an option /F where you can choose to "fill-in config items not supplied in original file“.

The program is a bit hard to figure out, because the description in DCHP.TXT is not correct.

Instead of
DHCP P=60 /W='C:\FDOS\WATTCP.CFG'  /M='C:\FDOS\MTCP.CFG‘
you would need to write:
DHCP P=60 /W C:\FDOS\WATTCP.CFG
DHCP P=60 /M C:\FDOS\MTCP.CFG

(You can not write the /M option and the /W option in the same line.)

It does get the environment variable MTCPCFG from AUTOEXEC.BAT, but it doesn’t get the environment variable WATTCPCFG.

So
DHCP /M
would work, while
DHCP /W
wouldn’t.

But anyway you can work around this and the program works fine. Unfortunately there is no source file on the website and no license, so it couldn’t be bundled with FreeDOS.

cheers
Ulrich

Re: M2WAT

dosgeek57
I have a "NET" Startup disk that loads everything (Packet Driver, MTCP. WATTCP DHCP & PING) then copies them to my permanent "Extras" directory which I call XDOS. I also have extra driver & utility disks ( sound, etc) which are configured to do the same. Saves a lot of time whenever I do a fresh install. Note to self  "Put this on a CDROM!"

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 2:28 AM, Louis Santillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Made my own dog food:

<https://github.com/lpsantil/m2wat.bat>

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What do you think of M2WAT? I use it quite often. It is Open Source, written
>> by cordata, a FreeDOS user, in a post to this list.
>
> I vaguely remember when he posted it, but I never had urgent need to use it.
>
>> Wouldn’t it be a good candidate for the net section of your repo? I know it is a very small
>> utility…
>
> Maybe.
>
>> https://github.com/ulrich-hansen/M2WAT
>
> Two minor nitpicks:
>
> 1). The .COM isn't even UPX'd. Bloat!  ;-)
> 2). The source is named "W2WAT.C", which is confusing.
>
> Otherwise, seems fine. Should these minor issues be fixed first?

Re: M2WAT

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Two minor nitpicks:
>
> 1). The .COM isn't even UPX'd. Bloat!  ;-)
> 2). The source is named "W2WAT.C", which is confusing.
>
> Otherwise, seems fine. Should these minor issues be fixed first?
>
> Yes I think these errors have been committed by me. I look into it (and
> might need some help with it).
> M2WAT.COM worked with the example WATTCP.CFG and just updated the lines that
> needed it.

Okay, so enough procrastinating from me, I've mirrored some things to here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/net/m2wat/

So feel free to take a closer look, and tell me what needs fixing or
updating (if needed).

In particular, this has the (corrected) M2WAT.ZIP package and Louis'
M2WATBAT.ZIP (but I kept my own old/original copy of M2WAT.C and
Ulrich's old/original M2WAT.ZIP package in "old/", for completeness).