Quantcast

overflooded by old emails

Jiri Wackermann

Yes, it has happened, and mysteriously, it happens again.
I cleaned up my Inbox and now the pest is back.
Really annoying.

Jiri

>> Has it happened to anybody else?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Wesley Parish

Re: overflooded by old emails

Jim Hall-2
Some email address was playing back old messages, don't know why. I unsubscribed the email address from the list.

Has it happened in the last 4 hours?

The list admin interface kind of sucks from a phone, so I didn't see a way to block/ban the address in addition to unsubscribing. I can ban the address if it happens again.

On May 7, 2017 9:05 AM, "Jiri Wackermann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, it has happened, and mysteriously, it happens again.
I cleaned up my Inbox and now the pest is back.
Really annoying.

Jiri

>> Has it happened to anybody else?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Wesley Parish

Re: overflooded by old emails

Jerome Shidel

On May 7, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Some email address was playing back old messages, don't know why. I unsubscribed the email address from the list.

Well, here is my guess on the event.

There are many sites that mirror the FreeDOS mailing list archives. The easiest way to perform that task is to just subscribe to the list and let SF send the server any updates. Many of the messages in the mini-flood have truncated subject lines. So, my guess is the server had an and error that caused its cache to be dumped into postfix (or other mail client) and off they went. Possibly caused by an attempted hack of the afflicted server.

Or, bug in SF mailing list.

But, that is all just speculation. Since it was such a short lived flood and wasn't one of my servers, I'm not concerned enough to dig through my email archive to compare the headers with the recent messages to see if I learn anything from them.

Has it happened in the last 4 hours?

Think there was just that one single flood of about 320 messages early this morning.

The list admin interface kind of sucks from a phone, so I didn't see a way to block/ban the address in addition to unsubscribing. I can ban the address if it happens again.

On May 7, 2017 9:05 AM, "Jiri Wackermann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, it has happened, and mysteriously, it happens again.
I cleaned up my Inbox and now the pest is back.
Really annoying.

Jiri

>> Has it happened to anybody else?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Wesley Parish

Re: overflooded by old emails

Mike Powell
Close, I think it was a configuration error on my part.  I changed e-mail
address to one on my own server and the messages burped from my new one.
Sorry for the error.

On Sun, May 7, 2017 12:30, Jerome Shidel wrote:

>> On May 7, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Jim Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Some email address was playing back old messages, don't know why. I
>> unsubscribed the email address from the list.
>
> Well, here is my guess on the event.
>

> There are many sites that mirror the FreeDOS mailing list archives. The
> easiest way to perform that task is to just subscribe to the list and let
> SF send the server any updates. Many of the messages in the mini-flood
> have truncated subject lines. So, my guess is the server had an and error
> that caused its cache to be dumped into postfix (or other mail client)
> and off they went. Possibly caused by an attempted hack of the afflicted
> server.
>
> Or, bug in SF mailing list.
>

> But, that is all just speculation. Since it was such a short lived flood
> and wasn't one of my servers, I'm not concerned enough to dig through my
> email archive to compare the headers with the recent messages to see if I
> learn anything from them.
>

>> Has it happened in the last 4 hours?
>>

> Think there was just that one single flood of about 320 messages early
> this morning.
>
>> The list admin interface kind of sucks from a phone, so I didn't see a
>> way to block/ban the address in addition to unsubscribing. I can ban
>> the address if it happens again.
>>
>>> On May 7, 2017 9:05 AM, "Jiri Wackermann" <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Yes, it has happened, and mysteriously, it happens again.
>>> I cleaned up my Inbox and now the pest is back.
>>> Really annoying.
>>>

>>> Jiri

Re: overflooded by old emails

Jerome Shidel

> On May 7, 2017, at 2:11 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Close, I think it was a configuration error on my part.  I changed e-mail
> address to one on my own server and the messages burped from my new one.
> Sorry for the error.

I can't speak for everyone else. But, as for me, no big deal. It is the most excitement the list has seen in a couple days. :-)