Quantcast

questions on FreeDOS

herminio.hernandezjr
Hello,

I just started tinkering with FreeDOS after listening  to Jim Hall on
the Lunduke Hour. I think this project is so cool! I do have some
questions.

1. is there any way to have sound working while in Virtualbox?

2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH server?
I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS games.

Thanks for you time!
Herminio

Re: questions on FreeDOS

Corbin Davenport-3
1. You can get sound in VirtualBox by changing the VM audio device to SoundBlaster 16. You can do this by opening the VM settings, going to sound, and selecting SoundBlaster 16 as the audio controller.

2. I'm not sure if this is possible, maybe someone else can chime in about that.

Corbin

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:15 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I just started tinkering with FreeDOS after listening  to Jim Hall on
the Lunduke Hour. I think this project is so cool! I do have some
questions.

1. is there any way to have sound working while in Virtualbox?

2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH server?
I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS games.

Thanks for you time!
Herminio------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corbin D

Re: questions on FreeDOS

Karen Lewellen-2
From: [hidden email]

--===============3070854734424492282==
        protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="=-WjQRhsmMosqIUEZg2ZIp"

--=-WjQRhsmMosqIUEZg2ZIp

Corbin,

Thanks that did it!

Herminio

On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 03:20 +0000, Corbin Davenport wrote:

> 1. You can get sound in VirtualBox by changing the VM audio device to
> SoundBlaster 16. You can do this by opening the VM settings, going to
> sound, and selecting SoundBlaster 16 as the audio controller.
>
> 2. I'm not sure if this is possible, maybe someone else can chime in
> about that.
>
> Corbin
>

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:15 PM <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just started tinkering with FreeDOS after listening-a to Jim Hall
> > on
> > the Lunduke Hour. I think this project is so cool! I do have some
> > questions.
> >
> > 1. is there any way to have sound working while in Virtualbox?
> >
> > 2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH
> > server?
> > I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS
> > games.
> >
> > Thanks for you time!
> > Herminio-----------------------------------------------------------
> >

> ---a
> Corbin D

--=-WjQRhsmMosqIUEZg2ZIp

--===============3070854734424492282==

--===============3070854734424492282==--

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: questions on FreeDOS

herminio.hernandezjr
Corbin,

Thanks that did it!

Herminio

On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 03:20 +0000, Corbin Davenport wrote:

> 1. You can get sound in VirtualBox by changing the VM audio device to
> SoundBlaster 16. You can do this by opening the VM settings, going to
> sound, and selecting SoundBlaster 16 as the audio controller.
>
> 2. I'm not sure if this is possible, maybe someone else can chime in
> about that.
>
> Corbin
>

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:15 PM <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just started tinkering with FreeDOS after listening  to Jim Hall
> > on
> > the Lunduke Hour. I think this project is so cool! I do have some
> > questions.
> >
> > 1. is there any way to have sound working while in Virtualbox?
> >
> > 2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH
> > server?
> > I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS
> > games.
> >
> > Thanks for you time!
> > Herminio-----------------------------------------------------------

> Corbin D

Re: questions on FreeDOS

Louis Santillan
In VirtualBox, you can start the VM with VNC enabled [0].

[0] https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch07.html

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:31 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Corbin,
>
> Thanks that did it!
>
> Herminio
>
> On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 03:20 +0000, Corbin Davenport wrote:
>> 1. You can get sound in VirtualBox by changing the VM audio device to
>> SoundBlaster 16. You can do this by opening the VM settings, going to
>> sound, and selecting SoundBlaster 16 as the audio controller.
>>
>> 2. I'm not sure if this is possible, maybe someone else can chime in
>> about that.
>>
>> Corbin
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:15 PM <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I just started tinkering with FreeDOS after listening  to Jim Hall
>> > on
>> > the Lunduke Hour. I think this project is so cool! I do have some
>> > questions.
>> >
>> > 1. is there any way to have sound working while in Virtualbox?
>> >
>> > 2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH
>> > server?
>> > I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS
>> > games.
>> >
>> > Thanks for you time!
>> > Herminio-----------------------------------------------------------
>> >

>> --
>> Corbin D

Re: questions on FreeDOS

Karen Lewellen-2
From: [hidden email]

--===============8247042041774274510==
        protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="=-k6v4G2hjDOm+Uzi5wtf5"

--=-k6v4G2hjDOm+Uzi5wtf5

I followed the instructiion ran this command

VBoxManage modifyvm "FreeDOS" --vrde on

I launched the VM verifed it has an ip address and I can ping out, but
my laptop cannot ping FreeDOS. However FreeDOS can ping my laptop...

Herminio

On Tue, 2017-01-31 at 21:08 -0800, Louis Santillan wrote:

> In VirtualBox, you can start the VM with VNC enabled [0].
>

> [0] https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch07.html
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:31 PM,-a-a<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Corbin,
> >
> > Thanks that did it!
> >
> > Herminio
> >
> > On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 03:20 +0000, Corbin Davenport wrote:
> > > 1. You can get sound in VirtualBox by changing the VM audio
> > > device to
> > > SoundBlaster 16. You can do this by opening the VM settings,
> > > going to
> > > sound, and selecting SoundBlaster 16 as the audio controller.
> > >
> > > 2. I'm not sure if this is possible, maybe someone else can chime
> > > in
> > > about that.
> > >
> > > Corbin

> > > --
> > > Corbin D

--=-k6v4G2hjDOm+Uzi5wtf5

--===============8247042041774274510==

--===============8247042041774274510==--

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: questions on FreeDOS

herminio.hernandezjr

I followed the instructiion ran this command

VBoxManage modifyvm "FreeDOS" --vrde on

I launched the VM verifed it has an ip address and I can ping out, but
my laptop cannot ping FreeDOS. However FreeDOS can ping my laptop...

Herminio

On Tue, 2017-01-31 at 21:08 -0800, Louis Santillan wrote:

> In VirtualBox, you can start the VM with VNC enabled [0].
>

> [0] https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch07.html
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:31 PM,  <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Corbin,
> >
> > Thanks that did it!
> >
> > Herminio
> >
> > On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 03:20 +0000, Corbin Davenport wrote:
> > > 1. You can get sound in VirtualBox by changing the VM audio
> > > device to
> > > SoundBlaster 16. You can do this by opening the VM settings,
> > > going to
> > > sound, and selecting SoundBlaster 16 as the audio controller.
> > >
> > > 2. I'm not sure if this is possible, maybe someone else can chime
> > > in
> > > about that.
> > >
> > > Corbin

> > > --
> > > Corbin D

Re: questions on FreeDOS

Ulrich Hansen-2

Am 01.02.2017 um 07:06 schrieb [hidden email]:

I launched the VM verifed it has an ip address and I can ping out, but
my laptop cannot ping FreeDOS. However FreeDOS can ping my laptop…

No of course not. There’s no service running that can answer the ping.
You need to start a service that listens to the network. For instance mTCP’s ftpsrv.

You need to configure the network and ftpsrv first. See:

and

(both pages were updated this morning...)

Good luck!

From: Louis Santillan <[hidden email]>

--===============3366568169964503556==

--001a1141ab64956b7505477740d5

As Ulrich said, there is no server listening to ping until you turn on
networking.

Also, I'm not clear on what ssh/telnet/vnc has to do with full screen dos
sessions.  While on the hosting machine in virtual box with the vm running,
you can just maximize and stretch the window [0]. Otherwise use the other
guide and connect to IP:3389 or IP:5900 with a vnc client.  You may have to
set port forwarding and/or NAT on your router, host and within Virtual
Box.  If you need to login (ssh or telnet style) into your DOS box, there
are servers out there you can use once you have networking going.

[0] https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#legacy-fullscreen-mode

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:53 AM Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 01.02.2017 um 07:06 schrieb [hidden email]:

I launched the VM verifed it has an ip address and I can ping out, but

my laptop cannot ping FreeDOS. However FreeDOS can ping my laptoprCa

No of course not. ThererCOs no service running that can answer the ping.
You need to start a service that listens to the network. For instance
mTCPrCOs ftpsrv.

You need to configure the network and ftpsrv first. See:

http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox_-_Chapter_5
and
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox_-_Chapter_7

wrote:

Hello,

I just started tinkering with FreeDOS after listening  to Jim
Hall
on
the Lunduke Hour. I think this project is so cool! I do have
some
questions.

1. is there any way to have sound working while in Virtualbox?

2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH
server?
I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS
games.

Thanks for you time!
Herminio-------------------------------------------------------
----

Corbin D

--001a1141ab64956b7505477740d5

Ulrich said, there is no server listening to ping until you turn on
networking.</div><div class="gmail-m_-1671365682762361004gmail_msg"><br
class="gmail-m_-1671365682762361004gmail_msg"></div><div
class="gmail-m_-1671365682762361004gmail_msg">Also, I&#39;m not clear on what
ssh/telnet/vnc has to do with full screen dos sessions.-a While on the hosting
machine in virtual box with the vm running, you can just maximize and stretch
the window [0]. Otherwise use the other guide and connect to IP:3389 or IP:5900
with a vnc client.-a You may have to set port forwarding and/or NAT on your
router, host and within Virtual Box.-a If you need to login (ssh or telnet

From: Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]>

--===============4236074997370426021==

--Apple-Mail=_DD3BCAAE-3DDC-4235-9057-DF7D96A882AD

> I launched the VM verifed it has an ip address and I can ping out, but
> my laptop cannot ping FreeDOS. However FreeDOS can ping my laptoprCa

No of course not. ThererCOs no service running that can answer the ping.
You need to start a service that listens to the network. For instance mTCPrCOs
ftpsrv.

You need to configure the network and ftpsrv first. See:

http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox_-_Chapter_5
<http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox_-_Chapter_5>
and
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox_-_Chapter_7
<http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox_-_Chapter_7>

(both pages were updated this morning...)

Good luck!

> Herminio
>
> On Tue, 2017-01-31 at 21:08 -0800, Louis Santillan wrote:
>> In VirtualBox, you can start the VM with VNC enabled [0].
>>

>> [0] https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch07.html
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:31 PM,  <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Corbin,
>>>
>>> Thanks that did it!
>>>
>>> Herminio

--Apple-Mail=_DD3BCAAE-3DDC-4235-9057-DF7D96A882AD

charset=utf-8"></head><body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode:
space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" class=""><br
07:06 schrieb <a href="mailto:[hidden email]"
class=""><br class="">I launched the VM verifed it has an ip address and I can
ping out, but<br class="">my laptop cannot ping FreeDOS. However FreeDOS can
course not. ThererCOs no service running that can answer the
ping.</div><div>You need to start a service that listens to the network. For
configure the network and ftpsrv first. See:</div><div><br

--===============4236074997370426021==--

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:14 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH server?
> I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS games.

First of all, I misread your question. But, just for clarity, (IIRC)
you can make VBox full-screen using Host-F (N.B. Host is usually Right
Ctrl).

Secondly, although this isn't super helpful advice (and yet
freedos.org does imply gaming), I don't think VirtualBox is ideal for
games. It just lacks some compatibility that some games need. Maybe
it'll work for some of your use cases, but normally it is suggested to
use (non-FreeDOS) DOSBox emulator instead, which has much better sound
and graphics support and can dynamically adjust cycles (among other
things).

Re: questions on FreeDOS

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Rugxulo <[hidden email]>

Hi,

From: "Herminio Hernandez, Jr." <[hidden email]>

--===============5566256051986094646==

--94eb2c1b4eaad5cf3c05477bff02

I realized it was a listening issue. I ran netcat to listen on a port and I
was able to test that the port was open.

Thanks for the feedback!

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:14 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > 2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH server?
> > I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS games.
>
> First of all, I misread your question. But, just for clarity, (IIRC)
> you can make VBox full-screen using Host-F (N.B. Host is usually Right
> Ctrl).
>
> Secondly, although this isn't super helpful advice (and yet
> freedos.org does imply gaming), I don't think VirtualBox is ideal for
> games. It just lacks some compatibility that some games need. Maybe
> it'll work for some of your use cases, but normally it is suggested to
> use (non-FreeDOS) DOSBox emulator instead, which has much better sound
> and graphics support and can dynamically adjust cycles (among other
> things).

--94eb2c1b4eaad5cf3c05477bff02

class="gmail_quote">On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Rugxulo <span
dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:[hidden email]"
class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi,<br>
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:14 PM,-a &lt;<a
&gt;<br>
&gt; 2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH server?<br>
&gt; I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS games.<br>
you can make VBox full-screen using Host-F (N.B. Host is usually Right<br>
Ctrl).<br>
Secondly, although this isn&#39;t super helpful advice (and yet<br>
does imply gaming), I don&#39;t think VirtualBox is ideal for<br>
games. It just lacks some compatibility that some games need. Maybe<br>
it&#39;ll work for some of your use cases, but normally it is suggested to<br>
use (non-FreeDOS) DOSBox emulator instead, which has much better sound<br>
and graphics support and can dynamically adjust cycles (among other<br>
things).<br>
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world&#39;s most<br>
target="_blank">http://sdm.link/slashdot</a><br>

--===============5566256051986094646==--

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: questions on FreeDOS

herminio.hernandezjr
I realized it was a listening issue. I ran netcat to listen on a port and I was able to test that the port was open.

Thanks for the feedback!

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:14 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH server?
> I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS games.

First of all, I misread your question. But, just for clarity, (IIRC)
you can make VBox full-screen using Host-F (N.B. Host is usually Right
Ctrl).

Secondly, although this isn't super helpful advice (and yet
freedos.org does imply gaming), I don't think VirtualBox is ideal for
games. It just lacks some compatibility that some games need. Maybe
it'll work for some of your use cases, but normally it is suggested to
use (non-FreeDOS) DOSBox emulator instead, which has much better sound
and graphics support and can dynamically adjust cycles (among other
things).

Re: questions on FreeDOS

> Secondly, although this isn't super helpful advice (and yet
> freedos.org does imply gaming), I don't think VirtualBox is ideal for
> games. It just lacks some compatibility that some games need. Maybe
> it'll work for some of your use cases, but normally it is suggested to
> use (non-FreeDOS) DOSBox emulator instead, which has much better sound
> and graphics support and can dynamically adjust cycles (among other
> things).

You can get all the features of DOSBox and still get most of the benefits of
FreeDOS by installing it into DOSBox. The FreeDOS 1.2 installer does this hybrid
install in DOSBox automatically (mostly).  See https://youtu.be/NmLjVYqF3zg

:-)

Jerome