Quantcast

questions on FreeDOS

herminio.hernandezjr
Hello,

I just started tinkering with FreeDOS after listening  to Jim Hall on
the Lunduke Hour. I think this project is so cool! I do have some
questions.

1. is there any way to have sound working while in Virtualbox?

2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH server?
I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS games.

Thanks for you time!
Herminio

Re: questions on FreeDOS

Corbin Davenport-3
1. You can get sound in VirtualBox by changing the VM audio device to SoundBlaster 16. You can do this by opening the VM settings, going to sound, and selecting SoundBlaster 16 as the audio controller.

2. I'm not sure if this is possible, maybe someone else can chime in about that.

Corbin

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:15 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I just started tinkering with FreeDOS after listening  to Jim Hall on
the Lunduke Hour. I think this project is so cool! I do have some
questions.

1. is there any way to have sound working while in Virtualbox?

2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH server?
I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS games.

Thanks for you time!
Herminio------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corbin D

Re: questions on FreeDOS

herminio.hernandezjr
Corbin,

Thanks that did it!

Herminio

On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 03:20 +0000, Corbin Davenport wrote:

> 1. You can get sound in VirtualBox by changing the VM audio device to
> SoundBlaster 16. You can do this by opening the VM settings, going to
> sound, and selecting SoundBlaster 16 as the audio controller.
>
> 2. I'm not sure if this is possible, maybe someone else can chime in
> about that.
>
> Corbin
>

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:15 PM <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just started tinkering with FreeDOS after listening  to Jim Hall
> > on
> > the Lunduke Hour. I think this project is so cool! I do have some
> > questions.
> >
> > 1. is there any way to have sound working while in Virtualbox?
> >
> > 2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH
> > server?
> > I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS
> > games.
> >
> > Thanks for you time!
> > Herminio-----------------------------------------------------------

> Corbin D

Re: questions on FreeDOS

Louis Santillan
In VirtualBox, you can start the VM with VNC enabled [0].

[0] https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch07.html

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:31 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Corbin,
>
> Thanks that did it!
>
> Herminio
>
> On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 03:20 +0000, Corbin Davenport wrote:
>> 1. You can get sound in VirtualBox by changing the VM audio device to
>> SoundBlaster 16. You can do this by opening the VM settings, going to
>> sound, and selecting SoundBlaster 16 as the audio controller.
>>
>> 2. I'm not sure if this is possible, maybe someone else can chime in
>> about that.
>>
>> Corbin
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:15 PM <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I just started tinkering with FreeDOS after listening  to Jim Hall
>> > on
>> > the Lunduke Hour. I think this project is so cool! I do have some
>> > questions.
>> >
>> > 1. is there any way to have sound working while in Virtualbox?
>> >
>> > 2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH
>> > server?
>> > I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS
>> > games.
>> >
>> > Thanks for you time!
>> > Herminio-----------------------------------------------------------
>> >

>> --
>> Corbin D

Re: questions on FreeDOS

herminio.hernandezjr

I followed the instructiion ran this command

VBoxManage modifyvm "FreeDOS" --vrde on

I launched the VM verifed it has an ip address and I can ping out, but
my laptop cannot ping FreeDOS. However FreeDOS can ping my laptop...

Herminio

On Tue, 2017-01-31 at 21:08 -0800, Louis Santillan wrote:

> In VirtualBox, you can start the VM with VNC enabled [0].
>

> [0] https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch07.html
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:31 PM,  <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Corbin,
> >
> > Thanks that did it!
> >
> > Herminio
> >
> > On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 03:20 +0000, Corbin Davenport wrote:
> > > 1. You can get sound in VirtualBox by changing the VM audio
> > > device to
> > > SoundBlaster 16. You can do this by opening the VM settings,
> > > going to
> > > sound, and selecting SoundBlaster 16 as the audio controller.
> > >
> > > 2. I'm not sure if this is possible, maybe someone else can chime
> > > in
> > > about that.
> > >
> > > Corbin

> > > --
> > > Corbin D

Re: questions on FreeDOS

Ulrich Hansen-2

Am 01.02.2017 um 07:06 schrieb [hidden email]:

I launched the VM verifed it has an ip address and I can ping out, but
my laptop cannot ping FreeDOS. However FreeDOS can ping my laptop…

No of course not. There’s no service running that can answer the ping.
You need to start a service that listens to the network. For instance mTCP’s ftpsrv.

You need to configure the network and ftpsrv first. See:

and

(both pages were updated this morning...)

Good luck!

wrote:
Hello,

I just started tinkering with FreeDOS after listening  to Jim
Hall
on
the Lunduke Hour. I think this project is so cool! I do have
some
questions.

1. is there any way to have sound working while in Virtualbox?

2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH
server?
I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS
games.

Thanks for you time!
Herminio-------------------------------------------------------
----

Corbin D

Re: questions on FreeDOS

Louis Santillan
As Ulrich said, there is no server listening to ping until you turn on networking.

Also, I'm not clear on what ssh/telnet/vnc has to do with full screen dos sessions.  While on the hosting machine in virtual box with the vm running, you can just maximize and stretch the window [0]. Otherwise use the other guide and connect to IP:3389 or IP:5900 with a vnc client.  You may have to set port forwarding and/or NAT on your router, host and within Virtual Box.  If you need to login (ssh or telnet style) into your DOS box, there are servers out there you can use once you have networking going.

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:14 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH server?
> I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS games.

First of all, I misread your question. But, just for clarity, (IIRC)
you can make VBox full-screen using Host-F (N.B. Host is usually Right
Ctrl).

Secondly, although this isn't super helpful advice (and yet
freedos.org does imply gaming), I don't think VirtualBox is ideal for
games. It just lacks some compatibility that some games need. Maybe
it'll work for some of your use cases, but normally it is suggested to
use (non-FreeDOS) DOSBox emulator instead, which has much better sound
and graphics support and can dynamically adjust cycles (among other
things).

Re: questions on FreeDOS

herminio.hernandezjr
I realized it was a listening issue. I ran netcat to listen on a port and I was able to test that the port was open.

Thanks for the feedback!

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Rugxulo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:14 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. is there a way to set FreeDOS as a VNC, telnet, or even SSH server?
> I would have a full screen session when playing some of the DOS games.

First of all, I misread your question. But, just for clarity, (IIRC)
you can make VBox full-screen using Host-F (N.B. Host is usually Right
Ctrl).

Secondly, although this isn't super helpful advice (and yet
freedos.org does imply gaming), I don't think VirtualBox is ideal for
games. It just lacks some compatibility that some games need. Maybe
it'll work for some of your use cases, but normally it is suggested to
use (non-FreeDOS) DOSBox emulator instead, which has much better sound
and graphics support and can dynamically adjust cycles (among other
things).

Re: questions on FreeDOS

> Secondly, although this isn't super helpful advice (and yet
> freedos.org does imply gaming), I don't think VirtualBox is ideal for
> games. It just lacks some compatibility that some games need. Maybe
> it'll work for some of your use cases, but normally it is suggested to
> use (non-FreeDOS) DOSBox emulator instead, which has much better sound
> and graphics support and can dynamically adjust cycles (among other
> things).

You can get all the features of DOSBox and still get most of the benefits of
FreeDOS by installing it into DOSBox. The FreeDOS 1.2 installer does this hybrid
install in DOSBox automatically (mostly).  See https://youtu.be/NmLjVYqF3zg

:-)

Jerome