reminder

Rinaldo Guelpa
Hi Friends,
I am looking for a simple reminder program in dos, can you please help.
Cheers

Re: reminder

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 1:33 AM, Rinaldo Guelpa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am looking for a simple reminder program in dos, can you please help.

You mean like this?

"
TaskTimer: A programmer's/hacker's/hobbyist's time management "egg timer"

TaskTimer is a program that helps over-applied computer freaks and
other obsessed workaholics
manage their computing time effectively between projects. It achieves
this by acting as a
multiple-stage, configurable, controllable "egg timer", constantly
reminding you of the tasks you
have to complete and how much time is left for each task.
"

http://www.oldskool.org/pc/tasktimer

Re: reminder

Karen Lewellen-2
From: "John R. Sowden" <[hidden email]>

today.exe by Patrick Kincaid. We use it every day.

John

On 04/10/2017 11:33 PM, Rinaldo Guelpa wrote:

> Hi Friends,
> I am looking for a simple reminder program in dos, can you please help.
> Cheers
> Rinaldo

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: reminder

John R. Sowden
today.exe by Patrick Kincaid. We use it every day.

John

On 04/10/2017 11:33 PM, Rinaldo Guelpa wrote:

> Hi Friends,
> I am looking for a simple reminder program in dos, can you please help.
> Cheers
> Rinaldo

Re: reminder

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Bret <[hidden email]>

"Reminder" program is kind of vague -- I think you'll need to provide a
little more detail.  There are programs (like my CLOCK program) that can
just beep at you at certain times of the day, and there are actually
full-fledged calendar/task management programs, and all kinds of things
in-between.  You can even use my SCANCODE program to (indirectly) perform
semi-automated tasks at certain times of the day.  Some programs are TSR's
(that run in the background), others not.

What are you actually wanting it to do (how complicated and
configurable/flexible do you actually want it to be)?  Is it something you
can't do some other way, like with a smart phone?

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: reminder

Bret
"Reminder" program is kind of vague -- I think you'll need to provide a little more detail.  There are programs (like my CLOCK program) that can just beep at you at certain times of the day, and there are actually full-fledged calendar/task management programs, and all kinds of things in-between.  You can even use my SCANCODE program to (indirectly) perform semi-automated tasks at certain times of the day.  Some programs are TSR's (that run in the background), others not.

What are you actually wanting it to do (how complicated and configurable/flexible do you actually want it to be)?  Is it something you can't do some other way, like with a smart phone?

Re: reminder

Rinaldo Guelpa
Hello Bret,
All I want to do , the reminder should remind me of a birthday eiter on the
date or a few days ahead say 5 or 3 days ahead , just have it in my
.autoexec.bat file so on startup it will run and inform me of  a person and
the birthday.
Best wishes
Rinaldo.
[hidden email]

> "Reminder" program is kind of vague -- I think you'll need to provide a
> little more detail.  There are programs (like my CLOCK program) that can
> just beep at you at certain times of the day, and there are actually
> full-fledged calendar/task management programs, and all kinds of things
> in-between.  You can even use my SCANCODE program to (indirectly) perform
> semi-automated tasks at certain times of the day.  Some programs are TSR's
> (that run in the background), others not.
>
> What are you actually wanting it to do (how complicated and
> configurable/flexible do you actually want it to be)?  Is it something you
> can't do some other way, like with a smart phone?

Re: reminder

dosgeek57
I have two that I have installed, Broderbund Memory Mate and
Brown Bag Software's PC-Outline which was included with WordStar 5.5 Professional.
PCO; and if you happen to use BB's PowerMenu a CTRL-\ will bring it up.

https://www.pcorner.com/list/WORDP/PCO334.ZIP/README.1/

From: Don Flowers <[hidden email]>

--===============7955720573336150951==

--94eb2c191e48ed5447054cf4b87f

wrote:

> Hello Bret,
> All I want to do , the reminder should remind me of a birthday eiter on the
> date or a few days ahead say 5 or 3 days ahead , just have it in my
> .autoexec.bat file so on startup it will run and inform me of  a person and
> the birthday.
> Best wishes
> Rinaldo.
> [hidden email]

Mate and<br></div>Brown Bag Software&#39;s PC-Outline which was included with
WordStar 5.5 Professional.<br></div>PCO; and if you happen to use BB&#39;s
PowerMenu a CTRL-\ will bring it up.<br><br><a
All I want to do , the reminder should remind me of a birthday eiter on the<br>
date or a few days ahead say 5 or 3 days ahead , just have it in my<br>
..autoexec.bat file so on startup it will run and inform me of-a a person
and<br>
the birthday.<br>
Best wishes<br>
Rinaldo.<br>
----- Original Message -----<br>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 4:24 AM<br>
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] reminder<br>
&gt; &quot;Reminder&quot; program is kind of vague -- I think you&#39;ll need
to provide a<br>
&gt; little more detail.-a There are programs (like my CLOCK program) that
can<br>
&gt; just beep at you at certain times of the day, and there are actually<br>
&gt; full-fledged calendar/task management programs, and all kinds of
things<br>
&gt; in-between.-a You can even use my SCANCODE program to (indirectly)
perform<br>
&gt; semi-automated tasks at certain times of the day.-a Some programs are
TSR&#39;s<br>
&gt; (that run in the background), others not.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; What are you actually wanting it to do (how complicated and<br>
&gt; configurable/flexible do you actually want it to be)?-a Is it something
you<br>
&gt; can&#39;t do some other way, like with a smart phone?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; View this message in context:<br>
&gt; <a href="http://freedos.10956.n7.nabble.com/reminder-tp26112p26123.html"
&gt; Sent from the FreeDOS - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world&#39;s most<br>
&gt; engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! <a href="http://sdm.link/slashdot"
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://sdm.link/slashdot</a><br>
&gt; ______________________________<wbr>_________________<br>
&gt; Freedos-user mailing list<br>
&gt;<br>

--===============7955720573336150951==--

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: reminder

Karen Lewellen-2

> "Reminder" program is kind of vague -- I think you'll need to provide a
> little more detail.  There are programs (like my CLOCK program) that can
> just beep at you at certain times of the day, and there are actually
> full-fledged calendar/task management programs, and all kinds of things
> in-between.  You can even use my SCANCODE program to (indirectly) perform
> semi-automated tasks at certain times of the day.  Some programs are TSR's
> (that run in the background), others not.
>
> What are you actually wanting it to do (how complicated and
> configurable/flexible do you actually want it to be)?  Is it something you
> can't do some other way, like with a smart phone?

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (276:10/901)
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net

Re: reminder

Bret
Rinaldo:

What you're wanting is pretty simple, so a full-blown calendar program is definitely overkill.  I think I've seen references to programs like what you want to do before, but I don't use any of them myself and don't remember the names of any of them.  Somebody else may be able to remember or come up with something.

If I wanted to do something like this myself, I would probably just do it with a batch file and a general-purpose environment-manipulation program like ASET or STRINGS (one place you can get these at is http://reimagery.com/fsfd/batch1.htm).  These kinds of programs allow you to do all kinds of things in batch files with environment variables (set environment variables to dates, extract lines from files, do various math functions, etc.).  They ultimately allow you to do lots of things with batch files that are impossible with just the standard batch file limitations.

Doing this with a batch file will require a little bit of effort on your part, but I'm sure you will like the results.

--
Bret Johnson

There is only one place in the universe where 0+0=1.  That is in the mind of an evolutionist.

Warning: Don't Use Probiotics Before You See This
Gundry MD
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/58ee5b6e1c5805b6d1a1cst03vuc

Re: reminder

Karen Lewellen-2
From: Rugxulo <[hidden email]>

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Bret Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What you're wanting is pretty simple, so a full-blown calendar program is
definitely overkill.
> I think I've seen references to programs like what you want to do before, but
I don't use any
> of them myself and don't remember the names of any of them.  Somebody else
may be
> able to remember or come up with something.

Perhaps this?

http://reimagery.com/fsfd/calend.htm

> If I wanted to do something like this myself, I would probably just do it
with a batch file
> and a general-purpose environment-manipulation program like ASET or STRINGS
(one
> place you can get these at is http://reimagery.com/fsfd/batch1.htm).  These
kinds of
> programs allow you to do all kinds of things in batch files with environment
variables (set
> environment variables to dates, extract lines from files, do various math
functions, etc.).
> They ultimately allow you to do lots of things with batch files that are
impossible with just
> the standard batch file limitations.
>
> Doing this with a batch file will require a little bit of effort on your
part, but I'm sure you will
> like the results.

Personally, it sounds like a job for REXX, but obviously you can use
whatever tools you like.